Installing new central air

Old 07-03-10, 09:14 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Installing new central air

I am going to install new Central Air in a ranch that currently has baseboard heat. Could anyone tell me the main components needed for this type of install?

I know I need to put in all the duct work, but I'm not sure about the other main units...

Thanks...

Old 07-03-10, 12:36 PM
C
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
A split system is common these days. It has two parts, Air handler is inside of your house, most of them are in the basement in New York. another part called condenser which is outside on the ground near to your air handler. Of course you need duct work as you mentioned.

Old 07-03-10, 05:55 PM
J
Thanks Clocert, is that it, the 2 units and the duct work? Are there any specifics to the duct work? ie: sizing (according to length of run), insulation, etc?

Old 07-03-10, 09:19 PM
C
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Depends on where you are located. In Texas, all duct work must be insulated becasue it is so hot here. but In N.Y. (especially upstate N.Y.) duct work in basement and inside the wall may not have to. you need to check with local AC firm to find out. The duct size is also depends on where you are. Of course you need the pipes, t-stat, transformer, dryer, and provide 220V electricity. etc. (what are you trying to do? try to install the whole thing by yourself ?)

Old 07-03-10, 09:41 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Duct design and placement is VERY important. Generally speaking ductwork for cooling needs to be of larger cross-sectional area than does ductwork for heating only. ALL ductwork used for cooling should be insulated. All seams in ductwork also need to be sealed with a minimum of foil tape and better with duct mastic.

I'm not going to state that a DIYer cannot install ductwork but the saving over a professional design and installation will be slim.

Old 07-04-10, 07:20 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The savings will be slim!!!!! I respectfully disagree. The reason I am on this forum is I had 5 "professionals" at my house for an estimate. I normally don't get that many estimates..
The first higly recomended wanted to do a Rube Goldberg setup and put in a 3 ton unit. The second highly recomended pro wanted to put in a 2 1/2 ton unit and do some duct work, that seemed stupid, it was!!
The third highly recomended pro, seemed to know what he was talking about, he wanted to put in a 2 ton unit and replace ductwork. I could have worked with him but he does not want the job!!!
Pro's 4 and 5 do not deserve mention, except they should have their licenses revoked....
None of the Pro's offered to do a manual J, so which one is right on the size of the unit?? Only one of the 5 noticed that the ductwork is too small.
A DIY'er that is willing to put in the time and effort, can do better than a lot of the pro's
The first thing to do is a manual J so you know for sure what size unit you need. Then do some research on forums and such to properly design the ductwork and placement of vents!
I don't normally type this much, but a guy comes in my house and want $5500 under the guise of a Professional and just guesstimates everything really tic's me offf
JIm

Old 07-04-10, 11:35 AM
J
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I am going to do the install myself, w/ the exception of brazing the lines and prressurizing the system. I did a complete Furnace and AC install in my own house, but I have forced air (which is much less convoluted). I have a contractor friend that will tie things up at the end and get me the equipment from a local distributor (at cost). I do all of my own work in my house, and I am very handy. When I finished the system in my own house I had a pro (the guy that bought me the furnace/AC unit etc.) come and inspect it for peace of mind. He asked me if I wanted to work w/ him, so apparently I did a pretty good job. As fo this job, it's the minor details I'm concerned about getting the correct info about. Thanks for any other feedback...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: