central AC not blowing cold

Old 07-04-10, 11:26 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
central AC not blowing cold

hi all,

I have a central air unit approx 8 years old. yesterday after a very warm and humid day, the outside unit stopped spinning the fan. we noticed it within about 15 min. by that time the unit (condenser and case etc.) was very warm/hot. we turned off the air system.
i did a little research and diagnosed a bad capacitor(bulge on top).. and if i manually spin the fan blades, it kicks up to mostly full speed. However, the unt does not blow any cool/cold air. i also don't hear the extra hum that seems to normally come from the unit.

questions,
first, is the bad capacitor (will replace tomorrow) going to keep the unit from turning on the compressor?

second, did my unit possibly fry itself from running so hot for that 15 minutes?

i see no tripped breaker in the main box, and the little outside breaker box looking thing on the exterior of our house seem to only have a pull out manual on/off switch.. no discernable fuse /circuit breaker.

i tested AC voltage at connection points on the ac unit, and it shows 230, as well as 230v on the capacitor./

any ideas/ help?!?

thanks all!

Last edited by matthewmiller7; 07-04-10 at 11:29 AM. Reason: super poor spelling
Old 07-04-10, 11:36 AM
M
The capacitor is necessary for the fan motor to start. Probably no other damage - just replace the cap.

Old 07-04-10, 11:38 AM
M
but would the capacitor also keep the compressor/condensor from also starting?

Old 07-04-10, 12:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
A dual capacitor serves both the compressor and condenser fan motor.

The compressor will also shut off on thermal protection when the condenser fan fails. (C opens)

Old 07-04-10, 03:50 PM
M
ok, great.

thanks for the info!

I will hopefully be back in business tomorrow after i source the part here locally.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: