portable a/c or furnace fan on 24/7

Old 07-07-10, 02:50 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
portable a/c or furnace fan on 24/7

Just curious as to which might be more energy/cost efficient. I live in a 4 story townhouse and the central a/c is not the best. With the t-stat set at 80, the 1st floor is about 72 degrees, and the top floor (when I woke up this morning) was a nice balmy 86 degrees!

I have tried to adjust the main damper, but don't want to close it too much to send air to the top floors because I was told reducing the air flow too much might freeze the coil.

I don't want to put in a window unit since I just had all new vinyl windows installed last year and I don't want to drill into them and void the warranty. Plus (technically), my HOA won't allow window units, but I had it in before we replaced the windows....

So, would running the furnace fan all the time be more efficient and distribute the air better throughout the home, or should I get a portable a/c unit to cool the bedroom at night?

Thanks,
Neil

Old 07-07-10, 04:26 PM
M
Running the fan continuously could help. But, in a 4-story house, there should be dampers on the supply to each floor. Are you sure you don't have them? If not, install them. Or, you could try shutting register vents on the lower floors to force cool air to the top floor.

Do you have the same problem with heating?

Not sure what you mean by a portable A/C.

Old 07-09-10, 08:17 AM
R
The only supplies I can see are two coming directly off the air handler/furnace. One is completely inaccessible as it is in the back of the closet, with framing, duct work, sprinkler piping, etc. all in front of it. Not sure if it has a damper or not, but I can't even reach it (can barely see it without banging my head on something...) to open or close a damper anyway. The other supply is right in front and has a damper.

The portable AC unit sits in the room and has a dryer type vent that goes out the window. Much less obtrusive/obvious than a window unit hanging out the window, but is somewhat noisier and takes up more floor space since the entire unit is inside the room. I bought one the other day and it has definitely helped the 4th floor. Really didn't want to spend the money on it, but definitely cheaper than running the house AC all of the time...

-Neil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: