Window A/C Units strange temp problems

Old 07-07-10, 09:00 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Window A/C Units strange temp problems

ok - this is driving me nuts..

What is it with Window A/C units having a hard time determining the actual room temperature when in Power-Saver mode?

Here's what happens to me - and note: this happens on three different units, all different Models.

If I set the unit on Power Saver mode - where the fan only runs when the compressor runs, the units have a hard time determining the current temp.

If I set the unit to 72. It will cool the room to roughly 72, then turn off, so far, so good. Lets say 60 min later, I go in the room, and it feels warm. The unit will say like 71 or 72, or whatever below the setting, and will not be running. If I change the set temp to 70, then the unit will jump up and say the room is 77, and will kick on until it gets down to 70-ish. Then will repeat this strange cycle. Why does the unit jump the room temp from 71 to 77 simply because I lowered the set temp?

I installed a Haier, and this happened, so I returned it and installed another brand - Geer, I think. I also have a Whirlpool that does the exact same thing. That's 3 different models that all do this "weirdness" to some extent... The Whirlpool is not as bad, but the Haier and Geer are really bad - will jump 8-9 degrees when I change the setting)

If I set the unit to "Auto" mode - where the fan runs constantly and the compressor only kicks on when temp above setting, than it seems to work better and does not seem to be such a blatant problem.

(On a side note - I had a programmable "whole" house furnace/AC thermostat do this exact same thing at my last house, only thing was there was no Power Saver vs Auto mode - it happened in Auto mode.)

What gives? Is it me?

Old 07-07-10, 10:04 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
There is no air going across the thermostat when the fan is off so it takes longer for the temperature near the thermostat to increase to the temperature where you are in the room. Also with no air movement from the fan you can have pockets of air at different temperatures.

Old 07-08-10, 06:05 AM
L
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
There is no air going across the thermostat when the fan is off so it takes longer for the temperature near the thermostat to increase to the temperature where you are in the room. Also with no air movement from the fan you can have pockets of air at different temperatures.
Ok - that makes some sense as to why the temp may be off. But, what I don't understand is why me changing the temp setting "triggers" the unit to change the detected room temp so drastically and instantly - maybe it's simply because I'm causing the fan to go on and blow air across the thermostat.

This seems to be a general bad design somehow...

Old 07-08-10, 07:40 AM
K
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thumbs up Air conditioning service florida

Hi, i agree with your concerns.
If you are not able to find out the solution always try to take help from experts.In some case doing it ourself may lead to serious effects.
Air conditioning Florida is dedicated to provide air conditioning maintenance, ac repair, and air conditioning services at affordable price.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: