Carrier compressor

Old 07-11-10, 08:24 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier compressor

My Carrier compressor is not running. Stat set on cool. Furnace blower has power. Circuit breaker is on. There are no noises or buzzing. Any suggestions on getting started figuring out why? Furnace and compressor are six years old.

Old 07-11-10, 08:31 AM
M
Is the compressor fan running? If not, then the contactor either isn't getting the 24-V for the solenoid or the contactor is shot. Troubleshoot with a voltmeter.

Old 07-11-10, 08:46 AM
Check the Basics

first check for power to the outside unit. It sounds like you have a split system, if so power is going to be on a separate breaker for the outside unit. Maybe you just have a tripped breaker? Next if you have power to the outside unit take a close look around the outside unit and look for a reset button on the unit itself. Diagnosis is a pretty simple and straightforward process. Do not get messed up like I did the other day when working on my parents refrigerator ice maker. Symptom: no ice being made. I check for power to the ice maker, bypass and run the water valave check for hose blockage at the water inlet run all factory checks that are recommended and the ice maker seems to be OK. Now if i had simply checked the freezer temperature first like I should have I would have realized that the freezer temp was at 20f and the icemaker will not make ice until the temp is BELOW 10f. Lesson is to be sure and check the BASICS before moving on. I could have saved a couple of hours messing around with a thirty second temp check and a 2 second twist of the thermostat control. Yes they had turned it up to SAVE ELECTRICITY ARGH

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: