Air Handler AUX/Emer heating element stuck on.

Old 07-11-10, 09:10 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Handler AUX/Emer heating element stuck on.

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I have been a strong advocate of do-it-yourself projects for a long time. You just save too much money not to. My latest endeavor is fixing one of the air handlers in my house.

I have a Carrier heat pump system with a condenser outside and the air handler in the crawl space. The problem I am having is the AUX/Emergency heating element in the air handler is stuck in the on position when I run my A/C. It also stays on when the thermostat turns the unit off. On top of that, when the unit is off (and the heating element is on) the fan runs at half speed. I think this may be an automatic function to keep the unit from burning up.

Anyway, this is obviously not an ideal situation. I had a reputable HVAC company send someone to the house to diagnose the problem. They said that the circuit board needed to be replaced and it would cost 330 bucks. I ordered the part online and installed it myself yesterday ($44 total cost), but that did not fix the problem.
Does anyone have an idea of what else it could be? My next guess would be the thermostat. Maybe it is sending some kind of signal the keep the heating element on. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Below is some of my system infomation.

Manufacturer: Carrier
Installed in 1999
Air Handler Model #: FC4BNF030
Circuit Board #: CESO130003-01
Thermostat: Hunter 44760

Old 07-12-10, 07:09 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, I did unplug the heating element so it would not continue to heat the house. Hahaha.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: