In wall Frigidaire compressor intermittent

Old 07-12-10, 07:22 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In wall Frigidaire compressor intermittent

Its a FAH124N2T. Unit's compressor seems to shut down and won't come back on unless I cycle the power. It seems to do this at high temperatures with high humidity. It seems to work fine in high temperatures with low humidity, or it could just be my imagination.

I also recall that the unit could be cold (haven't been used for a few hours) and the compressor would not come on.

When the compressor does come on, the air is cold, temperatures at the vent drops by close to 10C in about 5 minutes before compressor shut off. But its not regular, sometimes it will cycle properly for hours before it quits. Fan stays on the whole time.

Can anyone confirm its (most likely) the refrigerant level and if these things can be recharged economically?

If not, would a window type AC work fine in the in wall sleeve as long as I make sure the exhaust fan is at the back and not side? The price difference is huge and as far as I can tell, the only difference is the trim plate. I'm an (elec.) engineer, so you if you want to get technical, no problem! Thanks!

Old 07-12-10, 08:03 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How old is the unit? I had one just like that. It was the temp control problem(thermostat). It was too old (mine was 6 years old) so the control inside was dirty and not sensitive anymore. Cost too much to fix a 6 year old unit, so I bought a new one.

Old 07-12-10, 11:14 PM
W
I should have mentioned its a newer unit with a digital temperature indicator.

When I switch it to fan only, the display shows the correct room temperature. So I'm guessing the temperature sensor is working correctly. I'm ruling out the electronic compressor controls (solenoid/relay/FET) because if that was intermittent, it should also be intermittent in moderate hot temps, not just extremes?!

Old 07-20-10, 11:54 AM
S
I had the same problem...

I had exactly this problem with two different thru-wall AC's. Even though they looked perfectly clean from the outside, it turned out that the fins on the condenser were completely clogged on the inside of the unit, causing the compressor to overheat and shut down (it does this by design). This explains why it only fails on the really hot days.

I had to take the units out of the sleeves then remove the top casing and clean them with a hose and some degreaser. I suggest having a fin comb ready to go before you start. You can google for more thorough instructions, but there's not much more to it. They both work great now and have been keeping up with the humid 95-105 degree weather we've been having around here.

Old 07-21-10, 12:38 AM
W
Well the heat wave was finally getting to me, so I bit the bullet and pulled the AC out.

The condenser coils were fine, but not the evaporator. The factory must have some really bad QC or the installer decided for some stupid reason to pull the front cover off during installation and ended up destroying the evaporator fins. I would say about 5% of the fins are smashed in, blocking the airflow. I'm guessing this was enough to cause the coils to freeze up? Just not sure why it would freeze up when extremely hot, not when moderately hot (maybe the compressor shuts off quickly enough?)! I straightened out the fins, we'll know in a day or two if that was it, its forecast to be in the 90's again.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...C/_MG_1103.jpg (entire evaporator 225kB)

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...C/_MG_1104.jpg (closeup 121kB)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: