Evaporator blower shuts down after several minutes

Old 07-12-10, 08:58 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Evaporator blower shuts down after several minutes

I have an old Fedders central air. Noticed that air wasn't moving from the vents. Went up into the crawl space to take a look. The fan wasn't moving, but the outside compressor seems fine. I can hear coolant moving. No evidence of ice. After shutting the system down for about ten minutes the fan will come on for several minutes, then just shut down. Cycle is repeatable. The motor is too hot to touch. What I take to be the capacitor looks fine. Some dust bunnies, but, outside of possible overheating, nothing I can identify as wrong. Is there something shutting the fan down when overheated? If so, does the motor need replacing?
Photo of fan and capacitor: fan on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Model number:fedders on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks,
Mike Holloway

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-10, 08:05 AM
M
My theory is that the fan motor overheats due to a weak capacitor. But first, see if the fan spins freely manually. And, add a few drops of oil to the motor's oil ports.

Old 07-13-10, 08:21 AM
M
Thanks. It seems that A/C motors do have a thermal shutoff to protect from overheating. Seems this one's shut off is working fine. I'm assuming at this point that I have to clean things out, and, like you suggest, add oil. The fan doesn't seem to have much trouble turning, but apparently it needs to be easier.
How do I locate the oil ports? Are they obvious?

Thanks

Old 07-14-10, 02:54 PM
M
Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
How do I locate the oil ports? Are they obvious?
The oil ports should be lubed every year or so, but if the fan turns freely, that won't solve your failure-to-start problem. I would replace the capacitor.

I see one oil port at about 11:30 in your photo. You pull out the little plug with a fin-bladed screwdriver or with needle-nose pliers. Add about 3-4 drops (no more) of electric motor oil and replace the plug.

There will be another, similar oil port on the opposite end of the motor. You'll have to remove the motor from the fan shroud to get at it. Remove the three cap screws to remove the motor.

I would remove the motor first, oil both ends, and replace the two plugs before reinstalling the motor. It's easy to drop a plug through the fan blades, and the plug will wind up at the bottom of the shroud. Then you'll have to disassemble again to recover the plug.