Installation choices mini split air conditioners

Old 07-13-10, 12:13 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installation choices mini split air conditioners

I bought a Sanyo dual zone mini split air conditioners, my installer recommends putting it on the side of my house, attaching it to the house itself. I was told that it should be mounted on a cement base at ground level. My installer tells me that it require 44 inch sono tubes because of the frost line here in CT. Do I let him put it on the side of the house, the compressor weighs 139lbs, it's a Sanyo CM2472.
Thanks
Gregory

Old 07-13-10, 06:54 AM
It is a better practice to install the Condenser (outdoor unit) higher or the same hight as the indoor unit. The compressor will not be working against gravity to deliver the refrigerant to the air handler (indoor unit), which means less wear and tear and the system will be more efficient.

Old 07-13-10, 08:48 AM
M
I wouldn't hang the compressor unit on the side of the house. consider the weight, noise, vibration, appearance, and access for maintenance.

Putting the compressor on the ground, even if it's below the elevation of the evaporator, is fine.

Using Sono tubes for the foundation is ideal, but is your frost line 44" down? Many compressors are successfully set on concrete pads on grade. If the piping and electrical connections are flexible, that can work OK.

Old 07-13-10, 08:55 AM
M
Originally Posted by esalman View Post
It is a better practice to install the Condenser (outdoor unit) higher or the same hight as the indoor unit. The compressor will not be working against gravity to deliver the refrigerant to the air handler (indoor unit), which means less wear and tear and the system will be more efficient.
Typical high-side pressure for R-22 is about 260 psi. R-410A runs at a higher pressure.

The pressure drop due to gravity would be insignificant for any reasonable elevation difference.

Old 07-15-10, 09:54 PM
G
After reading the replies I decided to go with the on wall installation, my installer says to go with the Sanyo bracket that works with my compressor, he states that they better built and come with rubber pads that cushion the compressor. The only problem is there is a 2-3 week lead time on getting one, here in the Northeast. Anyone know of an alternative place to obtain one ?
Thanks
Gregory

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: