newer condenser freezing.

Old 07-14-10, 09:52 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
newer condenser freezing.

Hi everyone, I have an ac unit that is part of my furnace. It looks like the condenser is on top of the furnace and then the duct system starts. Any how the condenser is freezing up,and the copper line coming through is also freezing. The furnace is old but the condeser and the compressor have been replaced about 4 yrs ago. I had a freezer that did the same thing and I had to buy a part and then it worked properly, I was wondering if this is kind of the same idea. Is there anything that I should check to try to fix this problem before I have to call someone. Just a side note, the unit has been running non stop for about three weeks straight due to the extreme heat here in the north east. Thanks

Old 07-14-10, 10:02 AM
First, Check for a dirty filter...

Check for a dirty filter, if dirty replace with a new filter.

Low Freon & other factors can also cause freeze-ups.

Check airflow with an anemometer, need 400-CFM per-ton (12,000-BTUH) of cooling!

Evaporator freezing, not condenser...

Last edited by HVAC RETIRED; 07-14-10 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Check airflow with an anemometer...
Old 07-14-10, 05:02 PM
R
Thanks HVAC RETIRED, I did check the filter and you're right, the thing was filthy so I replaced it. Do you feel it necessary to check the air flow and if so how do you do it? Where do you place the anemometer? Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: