thermostat?

Old 07-15-10, 08:59 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thermostat?

I need to replace my thermostat which is currently a Honeywell CT3461 which is single stage but the company that installed it said they hooked it up to run dual stage.

So now I'm looking at buying the Honeywell RTH6400 or the Honeywell RTh7500 model. My question is can the 6400 model run in dual stage, or should I buy the 7500 which according to the stats can run in dual stage?

My wiring right now is follows: 1 wire on each
G- blue
Rc-black
R-red
W-white
Y-orange

I like the 6400 stat better but not sure if it will work, any advice on which one will work?
I have a Lennox G61V furnace and and 16 seer AC.

Old 07-15-10, 01:21 PM
P
Originally Posted by perry1 View Post
I need to replace my thermostat which is a Honeywell CT3461 which is single stage, but the company that installed my NEW FURNACE LENNOX G61V said they hooked the stat up to run in dual stage.

So now I'm looking at buying the Honeywell RTH6400 or the Honeywell RTh7500 model. My question is can the 6400 model run in dual stage, or should I buy the 7500 which according to the stats can run in dual stage?

G- blue
Rc-black
R-red
W-white
Y-orange

I like the 6400 stat better but not sure if it will work, any advice on which one will work?
I have a Lennox G61V furnace and and 16 seer AC.
Can I run a dual stage thermostat with only 5 wires? I asked the comapny that installed ny new furnace why they never changed my thermostat to a new 2 stage stat. The company said they got my old stat to run in dual stage, so no need to change it..

Old 07-16-10, 10:46 AM
P
I have a Lennox G61V furnace and currently using a Honeywell 3461 stat. I would like to replace my stat with a honeywell rth6400 or a Honeywell rth7500 model. What do you guys or girls suggest?

I only have 5 wires running to my stat.

G- blue
Rc-black
R-red
W-white
Y-orange

Would I have to run new wires directly to the furnace to get the RTH7500 model to work?

Would the rth6400 work just as good?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-18-10, 06:25 AM
No, the RTH6400 will not work. It's a single stage t-stat. The 7500 or 7600 is a two stage stat.

Old 07-18-10, 06:47 AM
P
Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
No, the RTH6400 will not work. It's a single stage t-stat. The 7500 or 7600 is a two stage stat.
Will I have to run a new wire from the thermostat to my furnace then seeing I only have five wires running to my thermostat now?

Can I run a RTH7500 thermostat with 5 wires?

Old 07-18-10, 07:00 AM
Will I have to run a new wire from the thermostat to my furnace then seeing I only have five wires running to my thermostat now?

Can I run a RTH7500 thermostat with 5 wires?
W1
W2
Y
G
R

Will be used for two stage heat and single stage cooling, so yes 5 wires is enough when you use battery to run the t-stat.

But looking at your first post, you have Rc and R wired by itself?? Where is those wires hooked up at the furnace?

Old 07-18-10, 09:15 AM
P
W1
W2
Y
G
R

Will be used for two stage heat and single stage cooling, so yes 5 wires is enough when you use battery to run the t-stat.

But looking at your first post, you have Rc and R wired by itself?? Where is those wires hooked up at the furnace?
Jay11J 2 quick questions if you don't mind.

1) I think my run my furnace and AC can run in dual stage, correct?

2) To run my Ac in dual satge I need to hook up a wire from my thermostats W2 to furnace W2, correct?

I will be looking a little later at where my R & RC wires attach to on my furnace. Its under the house in a crawl space and I just showered ...lol

Old 07-18-10, 09:39 AM
1) I think my run my furnace and AC can run in dual stage, correct?
If your A/C is two stage, then no, we need an extra wire.. But what is the model # of the unit outside?

2) To run my Ac in dual satge I need to hook up a wire from my thermostats W2 to furnace W2, correct?
The W is for the heat side. Y is for cooling.

Its under the house in a crawl space and I just showered ...lol
Well, you can shower again! hehe.. Do it when you have chance.

Old 07-18-10, 10:01 AM
P
If your A/C is two stage, then no, we need an extra wire.. But what is the model # of the unit outside?

The W is for the heat side. Y is for cooling.

Well, you can shower again! hehe.. Do it when you have chance.
Sorry, I meant y1 & y2 for Ac. My outside unit is a Lennox Elite XC14 series.

Old 07-18-10, 10:22 AM
The XC14 is a single stage system. So only Y1 is used at the t-stat.

Old 07-18-10, 01:07 PM
P
The XC14 is a single stage system. So only Y1 is used at the t-stat.
I have looked through my manual and it seems to support dual stage. Let me know what you think.

http://www.lennox.com/products/compare.asp

My seer rating is upto 16.2 which says it can run 2 stage. Am I reading htis correct?

Old 07-18-10, 09:42 PM
I got a blank screen on your link.

XC14 is a single stage, it can get up to 16 SEER with the right coil and furnace/air handler.. It don't mean it's going to be an XC16 (two stage system), it has the model XC16 on the unit itself.

Old 07-19-10, 05:46 AM
P
I got a blank screen on your link.

XC14 is a single stage, it can get up to 16 SEER with the right coil and furnace/air handler.. It don't mean it's going to be an XC16 (two stage system), it has the model XC16 on the unit itself.

Elite® Elite®

FEATURE XC16 XC14
Energy Efficiency Up to 17.20 SEER Up to 16.20 SEER
Solar-Ready Design
Sound Rating
Quiet Operation As low as 74 dB As low as 70 dB
Cabinet
Environmentally Responsible SmartHinge™ Louvered Design SmartHinge™ Louvered Design
Energy Star® Qualified R-410A R-410A
Tax Credit Eligible
On-board Diagnostics
Full Line of Scroll Compressor
Two-stage Operation
Compressor/Parts Warranty

I did a compare on the xc16 & xc14 and both said two stage operation. I looks like it 2 stage according to the specs

Old 07-19-10, 06:12 AM
Give me the full model # on the unit outside.

Here is the install manual.

Page 20 only shows it as single stage.

I went to the page and click on the XC14 and then "HomeComfort" tab, it don't say two stage, where the 16 says two stage.. So I'd say that is a missprint on the chart.

Old 07-19-10, 09:07 AM
P
Give me the full model # on the unit outside.

Here is the install manual.

Page 20 only shows it as single stage.

I went to the page and click on the XC14 and then "HomeComfort" tab, it don't say two stage, where the 16 says two stage.. So I'd say that is a missprint on the chart.
I did find a piece of paper that they gave when they quoted me a price on the install.
XC14-024-230 (22W89) A-Coil #C33-25

The number on the outside unit is hard to see but here is it is:
XC14-024-230

Last edited by perry1; 07-19-10 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-19-10, 09:27 AM
P
W1
W2
Y
G
R

I did go crawl under the house and looked at the wiring to the furnace and the black wire RC is not hooked up to anything. The R wire is hooked upto R on the furnace

I have a cable coming from my t-stat (5 wires total only 4 hooked up though)
I have a cable coming from my Humidifier (2 wires hooked up) I do have a seperate t-stat for my humidifier.
I have a cable coming from my AC (3 wires I think, could be 2)

There are no wires hooked upto W2 or Y2. I'm sure my furnace is 2 stage with variable speed motor. You would think that the company that installed my furnace would have set it up to run 2 stage heating.

Seeing my furnace is able to run 2 stage heating I could use the black wire thats not connected to anything and attach it to W2 on the furnace and W2 on my thermostat.

Last edited by perry1; 07-19-10 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-19-10, 11:47 AM
T-stat---------Fur-----A/C
G- blue-------G
Rc-R-red------R
W-white------W1
W2-black-----W2
Y-orange------Y---------Y
....................C---------C

On the board, jumper "E20" needs to set to "TWO". While we are on the board, I want to see if the jumpers are set right for your air flow.

What is the model # on the furnace?

Old 07-19-10, 12:28 PM
P
T-stat---------Fur-----A/C
G- blue-------G
Rc-R-red------R
W-white------W1
W2-black-----W2
Y-orange------Y---------Y
....................C---------C

On the board, jumper "E20" needs to set to "TWO". While we are on the board, I want to see if the jumpers are set right for your air flow.

What is the model # on the furnace?
The model # G61MPV-36B-070 (67M22) off a piece of paper I found.
On the diagram above it looks like you want me to connect R & RC together but I can't because I need it for W2 on the t-stat.

I was planning on dis-connecting the black wire from Rc on the t-stat and connecting it to W2 on the t-stat. I will then hook up the black that is loose and connect it ot W2 on the furnace, is the correct?

I'm not sure where the E20 is but I've been looking at my installation manual and I see the indoor blower settings with a bunch of dip switches, Is this what you want me to look at when I'm down there? Do you want me to write these down and get back to you?

edit: I just took a look at the Honeywell 7500 t-stat and it says to leave the R & RC jumper connected if your not using both wires, sound right?

I think the opening to crawl under the house is shrinking ...lol

Thank you for your patience

Last edited by perry1; 07-19-10 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-19-10, 06:41 PM
I'm not sure where the E20 is but I've been looking at my installation manual and I see the indoor blower settings with a bunch of dip switches, Is this what you want me to look at when I'm down there?
Yes. Does your board have "Surelight" stamped on it (Page 25, Fig 4) or nothing (page 31, Fig-5)? I'll give you the setting it should be set to.

Do you want me to write these down and get back to you?
You can if you want.
edit: I just took a look at the Honeywell 7500 t-stat and it says to leave the R & RC jumper connected if your not using both wires, sound right?
Correct, that's why I did the "R/Rc---red---"

I think the opening to crawl under the house is shrinking ...lol
You'd think it would be getting bigger since you are having the work out! hehe

Ok, here are the settings of the dipswitch if you have the Sure Light, if not let me know then the setting changes.

1-Off
2-On
3 & 4- Not used
5-On
6-On
7-Off
8-On
9-Off
10-Off
11-Off
12-On

Old 07-21-10, 08:08 AM
P
I did hook up my RTH7500D t-stat. its running fine
I wired it as follows:

t-stat furnace
W1==> W1
W2===> not hooked up to furnace yet
Y====> Y
G=====> G
R & RC ===> R I used a little piece of wire to jumper them together, plus put the red wire in R slot also. It was supposed to come with a jumper but it wasn't there.

couple more questions if you don't mind.
1) what does jumpering r and rc together do? My old stat did have a jumper on r&rc too, I found it when I took the old stat out.

2) Have you had a chance to see if this definitely is a single stage cooling XC14-024-230 (22W89) A-Coil #C33-25?

3) Is there any way my furnace could be running 2 stage heating without a 2-stage t-stat? The furnace was installed 18 months ago and the company said that my old single stage stat was able to run 2 stage heating, but I don't beleive them. eg: setting dip switches to run 2 stage heating

When I go under the house to hook up the W2 (black wire) to the furnace I'll check out all the settings and get back to you with them. It won't be for a while though

At that time I'll setup my stat to run 2 stage heating and setup my dip switches on the furnace to. and pick your brain some more if you don't mid....lol.

Old 07-21-10, 10:00 AM
1) what does jumpering r and rc together do? My old stat did have a jumper on r&rc too, I found it when I took the old stat out.
Only time the R and Rc are not jumped is when a home has two unit.. say a boiler in the basement, and air handler in the attic for cooling. Your set up is all one unit.
2) Have you had a chance to see if this definitely is a single stage cooling XC14-024-230 (22W89) A-Coil #C33-25?
It is a single stage system.

3) Is there any way my furnace could be running 2 stage heating without a 2-stage t-stat? The furnace was installed 18 months ago and the company said that my old single stage stat was able to run 2 stage heating, but I don't beleive them. eg: setting dip switches to run 2 stage heating
If the dipswitch/jumper was set to "single" the furnace would fire off on 1st stage for 10 min, then go into 2nd stage. If the switch was not set to "single" and was left in "two", the furnace would of been only running in 1st stage all the time, and never saw 2nd stage till now.

It won't be for a while though
Getting a bit tight down there? hehe Don't forget to let me know what is on the board. (question on my last post about "Surelight" or not)

and pick your brain some more if you don't mid....lol.
Feel free to ask more questions if needed!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: