york fan motor needs replacing

Old 07-18-10, 02:23 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
york fan motor needs replacing

I have a loud screech coming from the outside fan blower of my York air conditioning unit. Sounds like my bearings are shot and I need to replace my motor. Is this something I can tackle myself, or should I bite the bullet and get a technician out to do instead? Any advice would be helpful.....

Old 07-18-10, 02:59 PM
M
That is an easy job for a reasonably experienced DIYer. Shut off the power to the A/C. You can likely find a replacement motor on the Internet that will fit. Match the hp and the rpm. A new capacitor may come with the replacement fan, which is a good thing to replace.

You can find a universal fan motor with alternate mounting features.

Old 07-18-10, 04:37 PM
I
Thanks Mike. I found one online for $171 with shipping. I cancelled my tech appt for the morning (saved $100 right off the bat). Based on what I described do you think this is the right thing to replace (fan motor)? Also, Is it difficult to take off the fan blades from the old motor and put it back on the the new fan motor shaft?

Old 07-18-10, 04:56 PM
S
all that snow melted into the condenser down the shaft and into the bearing..give it a good soaking with WD40 right down the shaft and counter rotate it as you spray...might quiet it down then you can hunt the motor for an easy change out..try here Best Buy Heating and Air Conditoning Parts Online! for source or get the numbers off the actual motor and match it at your local Grainger supply..the FRAME,RPM are critical the brand will be other then York GE Fasco...etc put up the model number of the motor and brand...here on that blade soak the top let it work into the blade shaft area...loosen the locking nut/allen take a channel locks and grab the ara between the motor and the blade and work the blade cw/ccw til it spins free 360..good luck...come winter cover the top of that condenser

Old 07-18-10, 08:07 PM
M
Originally Posted by sminker View Post
all that snow melted into the condenser down the shaft and into the bearing....come winter cover the top of that condenser
A condenser fan motor should be a totally enclosed type. Neither snow in the winter nor rain during other seasons should hurt the motor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: