Compressor "Warranty" Costs??

Old 07-21-10, 12:54 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Compressor "Warranty" Costs??

Hey! My 5 YO Goodman 1.5T Compressor died and the dealer that installed it ordered a replacement compressor under the warranty. The new compressor is in and now they are telling me it will be $600 to $800 to install it in the existing condenser and re-charge the system. They are quoting 5 hr labor at $90/hr plus the refrigerant cost and misc parts. Does this sound reasonable as a "warranty" replacement? Thanks for any input.

Old 07-21-10, 01:07 PM
G
warranty

My compressor died 5 yrs and 1 month over the 5 year warranty. They replaced the whole outside unit and that only took about 2 hrs. if that long. 5 hrs just to replace the compressor? Dont know but like you, that seems a bit long. Can you get other estimates?

Last edited by stickshift; 07-21-10 at 01:11 PM. Reason: removed quoting of entire post
Old 07-21-10, 01:27 PM
R
I intend to get other estimates but the original installer has my warranty replacement compressor. If I go elsewhere, I'm going to foot the bill for an entire Condenser. At 5 hrs labor, I think this dealer is trying to recover their entier warranty out-of-pocket cost! Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-21-10, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The dealer is not paying the warranty...Goodman is. Any Authorized Goodman dealer can do the repair.

No HVAC Pro...but I read every post....IIRC $300-400 is a more appropriate labor cost. Also as I remember..they should replace the cap and filter (dryer?) at the same time. $90 an hour is pretty good..but why wouldn't they just re-use the refrigerant? I may be wrong..and thats a bad thing, dunno....Pro's will be around later...

Old 07-21-10, 02:20 PM
R
Thanks for that input. Much appreciated

Old 07-21-10, 03:13 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
4 to 5 hours is about right. I would not use the old freon if it was a burn out

Old 07-22-10, 04:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
I had my original goodman unit installed 13 yrs ago. One of the main reasons I went with that particular unit/installer was because the installer offered a 10 yr parts and labor warranty. 3 yrs later the compressor went out and the installer had closed up shop; it cost me $500 to have it repaired under the parts warranty. It took them a few hours and 2 trips to fix it. They failed to replace the dryer and that compressor died a few yrs later

Old 07-22-10, 08:06 AM
R
I had my original goodman unit installed 13 yrs ago. One of the main reasons I went with that particular unit/installer was because the installer offered a 10 yr parts and labor warranty. 3 yrs later the compressor went out and the installer had closed up shop; it cost me $500 to have it repaired under the parts warranty. It took them a few hours and 2 trips to fix it. They failed to replace the dryer and that compressor died a few yrs later

Old 07-22-10, 08:10 AM
R
Thanks to all for the input. That helps me make this decision to replace the compressor and not upgrade the entire system. Cheers!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: