What's the best 5000 btu window shaker?

Old 07-21-10, 11:30 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What's the best 5000 btu window shaker?

I'm in the market for a 5000 btu window shaker around $100. Which one is the quietest? most efficient? cools the best? idc about having a remote or it being digital or anything like that. I just want it to be cheap, quiet and cold.

here's the ones I'm looking at.

Zenith
Zenith 5,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner - ZW5010 at The Home Depot

Fridgidaire
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0P#reviewsWrap

GE
Walmart.com: GE 5,000 BTU Mechanical Window Air Conditioner, Cool White: Home Improvement

Haire
Walmart.com: Haier 5,000 BTU Air Conditioner w/Remote: Home Improvement

I also wouldn't be opposed to a 5050 or 5200 btu unit if it was more efficient and used the same amount of power.

Old 07-22-10, 08:14 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
As for efficiency, each unit should state a SEER number, and the higher that number, the more efficient.

As for cooling best, that's subjective and relative to the particular installation. They all should put out their rated BTUH cooling capacity, but there may be differences in airflow and direction of discharge. Most of these small units don't have elaborate air discharge grills which allow you to configure the airflow to specific parts of your room.

As for quietness, there usually isn't any standardized rating for these AC's. Cheap and quiet usually don't go together. I'm guessing all of the units you're looking at are made in China and probably almost identical under the skin. I'd look more for the reputation of the seller, rather than the brand name. Most of these imported small AC's aren't designed to be serviced and if there is a warranty issue, they are usually replaced rather than repaired.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: