Ac repair... Help

Old 07-22-10, 01:57 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ac repair... Help

I was told i needed a new float switch, new drainline and due to stoppage (set to correct fall) and also a new plenum.

The float switch was not working properly and failed to turn off unit therefore the plenum got soaked (not steel was made of some type of board) and this caused the plenum to drip and sent water down the vent in the laundry room and caused some damage to the ceiling around the duct.

My Unit is a heat pump made by PAYNE model#PF1MNA042...
(3 1/2 ton)...

I was quoted $300 just to fix the drain issue and float switch... waiting on estimate for the plenum. Also was reccomended I get another return in the house (my house is 1500 sq feet with that 3 1/2 ton unit)... does this sound like a good idea? He quoted me $750 for this... these prices seem high but what are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance for the feedback!

Old 07-22-10, 09:08 PM
J
I looked up some float switches...AquaGuard 1100 is available for $7.50, requires no tools, and has two wires. Assuming your condensate drain is pvc, I'd estimate under $20 in parts and a half hour of labor. So, could you save a bunch of money doing it yourself? Yes.

Are they ripping you off? No. I work for a HVAC company, we'd charge about the same. You just have to remember that you're paying for expertise and labor (and overhead), not just parts.

As far as the plenum and return...that really comes down to whether or not you trust your HVAC company. They've seen the job and the work required - we can't. If you trust them, then do it. If not, start looking for another company, and when you can find one you trust, get their opinion on it.

Old 07-25-10, 12:33 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the heat pump was working fine before the water leak problem you don't need another return. The return has nothing to do with the drain plugging. I would call another tech. He's trying to sell you something you don't need.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: