Using a Window AC in a wall in box

Old 07-22-10, 05:30 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using a Window AC in a wall in box

Hello, I am new to this forums. I've looked back a few pages and did not find any topic related to my question.

I have a ~190sq. ft. room. I recently bought a window model 6,500 BTU AC. I know I am suppose to use it in a window, but since I have a wall in box I put it in there. I really did not want to lose a window and also the wall in ACs are so very expensive and a bit out of my reach.

My issue which I suppose is to be expected is that the AC does not cool the room very well. It does, but it takes so long to do it.

I have included a few pictures of the unit and the box. The wall in box was actually bigger than the AC so I built a little wooden frame around it, and put some silicone in some open areas.

Do you guys have any recommendations as to what I can do in this situation to run my AC as best as possible? I would apprentice any advice.

Thanks for reading. Beer 4U2

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 07-22-10, 11:01 PM
W
You probably have to build a divider in the back of the AC to separate the exhaust fan and the condenser coils. Otherwise it is just blowing its own hot air through the coils. Just my guess.

Old 07-22-10, 11:28 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need to get rid of the box. It is restricting the airflow through the condenser. The unit that came out probably only had vents at the back. Most modern window units have them on the sides also.

Once you have removed the box treat it like a window install. Use exterior plywood to make filler panels for the sides and top. I have done several installations like this and every one is different. You just have to figure out what works best for your situation, holds the AC in place and doesn't block the side vents. I often build a 2X6 frame as wide as the opening but just tall enough to slide the AC in. The frame is firmly secured in the opening setting at the bottom of the opening. Between the top of the frame and top of the opening you fill in the opening. From the sides of the AC to the sides of the frame you put filler panes. Do not use the accordion panels that came with the AC. Just to much heat.

Of course around here a 6300 BTU would barely cool a walk-in closet during the heat of the day but maybe it isn't that hot where you are. If you are using it as the only cooling for a 10X12 room unless it is really well insulated it may not cool very well. Here some retail sellers have an absolute no return policy on small ACs because they know the customers will usually not be satisfied.

Can you post a pictureof the outside. I'm guessing the box is obstructing the side vents because I have seen that before but pictures will tell me if I'm right.

Old 07-23-10, 04:06 PM
D
Here you are.

Old 07-23-10, 05:11 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If there are side vents on the new AC the box is definitely part of the problem. However given the size of the box I can't help but wonder how many BTUs the old AC was. I'd bet it was a lot larger then the new one. How many square feet is the room it cools. You aren't trying to cool more then one room are you?

Just an aside on this. I used to do maintenance for an apartment complex that used window ACs through the wall. Just before I was hired the owners had an AC man out to find out why they were having so many complaints from the tenants about cooling. He traced it to the previous maintenance man's habit of sticking the new ACs case and all in the case of the failed ACs. One of my first jobs was going through and correctly mounting the ACs which took care of the cooling problems.

Old 07-23-10, 05:51 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How come I have never seen a wall box like that, I have been many cities in Texas and California. I saw many A/Cs installed in the wall but they all just have a support from the bottom. nothing like that box which restrict the air flow from all around. Well, this is new to me.

Old 07-23-10, 06:19 PM
D
Old through the wall a/c units had sleeves that they went in. Window a/c's will not work properly in a sleeve. Through the wall units have vents on the back only. Window units have them on the sides. Just as the others have said, your unit doesn't have proper ventilation for it to work. Try it in the window to see if it does a better job. If it doesn't, then you know it is also undersized.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: