Bypass thermostat to test AC.

Old 07-23-10, 10:05 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bypass thermostat to test AC.

I just recently had my thermostat replaced, it was shown to be faulty according to the maintenance person sent out, the ac and fan would kick on what seemed to be at random, but the house would never cool down and the outside fan would turn off before reaching the interior cooling temperature.

Iv cleaned out any debris inside of the outside fan in the condenser fins.

The repair man also said the freon level was about over charged and released about 10 pounds to get it to the recommended level... in a not so environmentally friendly way...

Anyway, iv looked up some wiring colors for my thermostat and i was wanting to just bypass it and let the ac run for a while to at least narrow down the problem myself, i was wondering what the difference between the first and second stage cooling wires were Y1 and Y2, and to get some verification to see if what i thought is correct.

To bypass the thermostat and run the ac i would connect jumpers from the red (rc) 24v wire to the Y1 yellow first stage cooling, Y2 blue second stage cooling, and G green energizes the indoor fan wires all together, is that correct?

Does anyone else have any other suggestions as to where i should check next?

Thanks!!

Old 07-23-10, 11:01 AM
M
Originally Posted by edge2k View Post
The repair man also said the freon level was about over charged and released about 10 pounds to get it to the recommended level... in a not so environmentally friendly way...
He released 10 pounds? Sounds unusual.

Venting the refrigerant to atmosphere is illegal.

You seem to be saying that replacing the thermostat and venting refrigerant didn't help?

Old 07-23-10, 11:09 AM
E
Yes, the ac still isn't working correctly, the air does blow cool for a little bit but the temperature never gets lower, the compressor and fan seem to be working, but regardless of the set temperature inside it will stop blowing and just flash cool, as if the unit is shutting off for another reason.

The blatant disregard for epa regulations was the high point i noticed by the most wonderful "guy in a truck" repair man sent out by my property management, which i did let them know about and am trying to use it as leverage to fix the issue faster.

The freon level, at least thats what i believe he said was at around 60 or so pounds and was normally recommended to be 50 pounds for the unit i have, i heard him releasing it outside quite loudly.

Old 07-24-10, 12:04 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
First off the "tech" that worked on your system is anything but. As mentioned in another post it is illegal to vent refrigerant into the atmosphere. A professional licensed tech would have recovered the freon if it was overcharged. And "60" lbs of freon? Do you know the tonnage of your A/C system? How big is your house? That sounds like a lot for a residential system. If the unit outside is shutting off before the thermostat set temperature is met it is most likely a low or high pressure safety switch shutting down the compressor. The "tech" should have been able to check the pressures and confirm that the cutoff switches were not faulty and if there was a pressure problem it should have been investigated and the pressures stabilized before the "tech" left. Make sure your filter is clean. A dirty filter can cause pressures to go beyond spec. It should be changed once a month. If the filter is clean call a real HVAC technician to come out and fix your system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: