hvac, supply questions

Old 07-23-10, 01:12 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hvac, supply questions

Texas, 90-95deg summer days.

Thermostat is programmable, but currently set to 78deg during the day (wife and newborn twins at home.)

Efficiency expert recommended that I update my two sidewall supplys (sit high on the wall of vaulted ceiling main living area) from a tri-directional to a single directional to improve airflow across the room (and into the adjacent sunroom.)

Previous owner enclosed patio area into a sunroom, with glass windows/sliding door all along that wall. Heat transfer much!?

I'm getting those windows updated to dual-pane soon, but was surprised to discover that changing the supplys as I was directed appeared to *increase* my KWH usage. Am I in fact just shipping all my expensive cool air right on outside? Have I been mislead wrt to the single-direction supplys?

From this layout, any other recommendations? (The return is super loud bc it sits right beneath the hvac unit itself...I've been told the design is unusual...the hvac unit sits vertically above the pictured return.) Makes watching t.v. as depicted noisy at times.

Old 07-23-10, 01:47 PM
M
Originally Posted by goodbar2k
I'm getting those windows updated to dual-pane soon
Be sure to get High E glass, both panes. That will cut down the heat from the sun.

Old 07-23-10, 01:51 PM
G
Mike, I'm hoping you meant Low-E glass (Low Emissivity? not sure what it stands for.)

Getting these:

Dallas windows, Custom built aluminum windows, Thermally broken aluminum windows, Aluminum windows, Single-Hung| Don Young Company |
(not a recommendation, just what I bought, no idea how they'll work out!)

Old 07-23-10, 01:57 PM
M
The noise in the return can be alleviated. First, install insulating bats on the inside of the duct between the return and the indoor air handler.

Second, the fan may have a multispeed motor. Try reducing the speed one notch.

Also, I'm thinking that a couple of ceiling fans might help, too.

I'm assuming that the changes you've made to date were to get more cooling to the warm spots and thus to improve comfort. I wouldn't have expected you to necessarily save energy to boot.

Old 07-23-10, 02:05 PM
M
Originally Posted by goodbar2k
Mike, I'm hoping you meant Low-E glass (Low Emissivity? not sure what it stands for.)

Getting these: Dallas windows, Custom built aluminum windows, Thermally broken aluminum windows, Aluminum windows, Single-Hung| Don Young Company |

(not a recommendation, just what I bought, no idea how they'll work out!)
Sorry, I meant Low-E. Yes, Low-E = low emissivity. I looked at that website. Low-E glass is offered under "glazing options." Assuming the windows haven't been built yet, I would upgrade to Low E. The salesman should have promoted that option!

For more info, Google "Low-E Glass". Google is your friend.

Old 07-23-10, 02:46 PM
G
Thanks Mike, great tips.

I'll double-check and make sure I'm getting the Low-E option.

I'll also look into the fan motor...I think I was told once that it's multi-speed as you surmised.

I'm having trouble visualizing your suggestion wrt the insulation batts inside the return duct. Would it be some type of material I run around the edges of the inside of the duct itself? The inside of the duct is more or less inaccessible to me, unless I somehow detached it from the return, right?

I think I'm missing the point on this last piece of advice...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: