cant run two AC's at the same time

Old 07-24-10, 06:45 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question cant run two AC's at the same time

i cant understand this but, i just recently installed a small window AC in my back room where it would always be too hot, but i cant seem to run two ac's at the same time without it tripping the breaker and shutting the electric off, there are two power boxes, one for one side of the trailer and one for the other half, both ac's are being run on one power box, both breakers are both 120v single pole breakers, there is no double pole breaker installed, so could it be that its overloading the one breaker?? the ac i just installed is a GOLDSTAR model GWHD5000 115volt, 5,000 BTU, and the other one located in the living room is an amono wall unit (not sure what model or voltage). so what do i do?

Old 07-25-10, 12:16 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have an electrician rewire the feed to the new air conditioner.

Old 07-25-10, 01:00 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
As stated ACs should be on dedicated circuit. The 5000 might be able to share a circuit but if the other one is actually able to cool a room it is probably around 10000-1200 BTUs. That is about 7.5 amps running and 2-3 times that when it starts so you can see that leaves very little power for anything else. If they are on dedicated circuits it could be a bad breaker. What size are the breakers?
there are two power boxes, one for one side of the trailer and one for the other half, both ac's are being run on one power box,
What is a power box? Do you mean breaker box? Are you saying you have two subpanels off your main panel?
both breakers are both 120v single pole breakers, there is no double pole breaker installed, so could it be that its overloading the one breaker??
You should not have a two pole breaker in most cases because this is 120v circuits. There are exceptions but usually wouldn't apply to AC circuits. You really need to try do explain your wiring more clearly because some of what you say is a bit confusing.

P.S. This would be better posted in http://forum.doityourself.com/electrical-c-d-c-9/ because it is really an electrical problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: