Ice on line to condenser unit

Old 07-25-10, 06:24 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ice on line to condenser unit

Today, all of a sudden my condenser unit started struggling to run, stuttering. I shut it off and went outside to find ice on the line from the house. I took the panel off, and the ice stopped just before the line loops up and into what I assume is the compressor.

My research (well, Google) suggested a new filter, and mine was due for one, so I put a new one in. Turned it back on and same result. I only had it off to thaw for about 90 minutes though, too short? I did notice a couple drops of condensation from the line in the basement just before it enters the HVAC unit though I couldn't find any evidence of icing on the line inside the house.

Google also suggested a dirty coil. The outside coil was cleaned as part of a service contract perk in March.

Weather of note, we had a severe thunderstorm with heavy wind and rain come through just beforehand, and the temperature dropped nearly 20 degrees (from upper 90s to upper 70s) in a very short period of time.

Since the temperatures are expected to be in the low 70s tonight (lowest in several days), I'm planning on just trying it again in the morning, and if still the same result then calling in for a service request.

Have I done enough of a self-check of the system (by someone who's not at all a handyman)?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-10, 07:35 PM
S
that ice on the suction insulated line back to the compressor and it starts back at the air handler...if you had continues to run it the entire compressor would of been a snowball.that temperature drop on the outside air could of effected the pressures within the system and causing the ICE WALK OUT to the condenser.you might be short of freon making the air handler act like a freezer and the ice forms.ever again just go to system off on the stat and fan on

Old 07-26-10, 04:43 AM
S
In checking again this morning, it is indeed icing up from the air handler.

Turning the thermostat to off, then turning the fan on didn't do anything.

Looks like it's time for yet another service call on this thing.

Old 07-26-10, 01:56 PM
S
If anyone cares, the circuit board is defective now. The board wasn't giving the power to the fan, which caused the ice.

What frustrates me is the board was just replaced in November. The tech didn't have the part handy, so they have to return. It just better be under warranty.

The tech was able to wire things up to get the AC to work temporarily, at least, till the board can be installed.

Old 07-27-10, 06:51 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Makes me appreciate my ten year old boardless system all that much more. Make sure the tech verifies that the secondary voltage on the 24V transformer is within spec and that the amp draw on the fan motor is also within spec. Also have him make sure there are no bare wires on the harness coming from the fan that could be shorting out.

Old 07-27-10, 06:53 PM
S
Originally Posted by jeggs View Post
Makes me appreciate my ten year old boardless system all that much more. Make sure the tech verifies that the secondary voltage on the 24V transformer is within spec and that the amp draw on the fan motor is also within spec. Also have him make sure there are no bare wires on the harness coming from the fan that could be shorting out.
When the problem arose last year, it was a heating issue, as the igniter wasn't lighting any flame.

Thankfully the board is under warranty.