Compressor or Electrical Please help

Old 08-10-10, 02:42 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Compressor or Electrical Please help

I'm having problems with my outside unit. The temp in the house became hot checked unit it was off. Checked breaker and it was tripped. I cleaned coil, repaired bent fins, and inspected all connections. Restored power and breaker. Fan motor and compressor start up fine. A/C runs and cools for 4 hours and trips breaker. Replaced breaker (no sign of pits or damage) 40 bar. A/C ran for about 2-3 hours trips breaker. Inspected unit again, flipped breaker and waited. I determined the fan motor will cycle off and come back on, however, when it comes back on the fan runs about 1minute (without compressor) then something trips breaker. Don't know if it has to do with heat 102-105 for days on end. Fan motor came on without compressor before breaker tripped. Does this mean compressor? Here is my info:

Unit is 6yrs (coil replaced on unit 2yrs ago)
York 4 ton
Unit Supply 208-230v 1ph 60HZ
Compressor 208-230v 1ph 60HZ 21.8 RLA 105 RLA
Fan Motor 208-230v 1ph 60HZ 1.3 FLA 1/4 HP
Minimum 28.6
Max 50 (I replaced with 40, as that was what was in before with no problems)

Last edited by gdh1992; 08-10-10 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-10-10, 04:35 PM
M
I'm suspecting the fan capacitor or motor. Or maybe a control board.

Some of your data doesn't look right. By RLA maybe you mean LRA = locked rotor amps (same as startup amps). "105" doesn't make sense to me.

Which coil was replaced? Evaporator or condenser? I would clean whichever one wasn't replaced.

Old 08-10-10, 04:59 PM
G
Mike, thank you for your help. The evaporator coil was replaced, I cleaned the condenser coil prior to replacing breaker. The info is straight off the panel, just added for the benifit of you guys(I don't know RLA from LRA). The fan did come on before breaker tripped, but compressor did not. Is it possible compressor was trying to come on after fan and tripped breaker? I have a Dual Motor Run Capacitor, MFD Rating 45/5, Voltage 370, 60/50 Hz, found one but guy at wharehouse said nothing would kick on if this was bad. Fan motor was turning normal, not slowly (if that helps).

Old 08-10-10, 05:05 PM
G
Forgot to mention, the capacitor looked ok as far as looks go, no bulging, sign of fluid, faulty or corroded connectors.

Old 08-10-10, 06:58 PM
G
Update, I watched this thing all day. Unit kicked off (not breaker) fan comes back on but with no compressor, seconds later trips breaker. I triple checked everything and put back together (unit had some time to cool). Reset breaker and turned unit on at 2:15 temp went from 84 to 77 and at 8:45 (6 1/2 hrs) unit shut off. Checked breaker it was tripped, pulled outside fuse, reset breaker and plugged fuse back in (unit had no time to cool). The fan comes on, compressor does not and breaker trips. Is the compressor overheating? It seems to kick on and run for hours after it has cooled, but trips breaker immediately when it's hot or has been running for hours. Temp is rising in house again.

Old 08-10-10, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by gdh1992
Is the compressor overheating?
That would be my guess. Sounds like the breaker is doing its job.

Old 08-10-10, 07:43 PM
G
Does this mean new compressor or is there something else?

Old 08-11-10, 09:13 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
severe overcharge most likely, have the guys that did the coil replacement back out to adjust the charge level.

Old 08-18-10, 03:10 PM
G
My unit had a positive temperature coefficient resistor (PTCR) otherwise known as a soft start. This part was no good,they seem to be common with York systems. They are expensive and from my research useless. I installed a Kick Start KS 1 kit $42.00 and capacitor, (I had already purchased per Mike and others I spoke with $20 [thanks guys]). Unit is working in very hot Texas weather for a little over a week now. Hope this might help others as the previous post and comments have helped me. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 08-18-10, 03:44 PM
M
Originally Posted by gdh1992
My unit had a positive temperature coefficient resistor (PTCR) otherwise known as a soft start. This part was no good,they seem to be common with York systems. They are expensive and from my research useless.
That soft start device is intriguing. Can you link us to more info?

A variable-speed motor can perhaps benefit from soft start (starting on a slow speed). But, I think a conventional capacitor-start induction motor needs a quick start and rapid acceleration. Until the motor accelerates, the starting current can be quite large, possibly causing motor heating or tripping.

That's kind of the idea of a heavy-start motor capacitor.

Old 08-25-10, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
unplug the compressor leads and ohm between the three posts C S and R post results for diagnosis

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: