Has anyone seen this problem

Old 08-12-10, 11:32 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Has anyone seen this problem

When my blower comes on my A-coil sucks all the water out of my drip pan and leaks it on top of the blower unit. I live in a mobile home so the vents run under the house. I have had 2 companies come out and they cannot tell me what is wrong.

I seem to have 3 options. 1 - replace the whole unit ($7-11,000) 2 - Replace the condensor coil ($1100) 3 - have someone pull the coils and do a complete cleaning of them ($400).

I know option 1 is the best solution but I just do not have the cash this year to do that. Option 2 is just as good but the parts are hard to come by as they stopped mfg in Jan 2010 (r22 unit). I am willing to go with option 3 but the techs are unsure that this will fix the problem.

If you have seen this type of problem please let me know. All other thoughts are welcome as well. Thansk.

Old 08-12-10, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Welcome to our forums!

It is possible that it is not draining properly and is up to the top of the pan.
There should be a trap on the drain line that connects to the coil so that air is not drawn through the drain preventing the pan from emptying.

In other words if the drain from the coil drops straight down to the drain instead of into a trap you will have drain problems.

Old 08-12-10, 06:20 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks greg. That was one of the first things that I check. With the blow off I am able to pour water into the pan and the water drains properly. But when the blower kicks on it draws the remaining water back into the acoil. Also any condensation from normal operation is sucked back into the coils. It is rather baffleing.

Old 08-12-10, 07:38 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
not sure the answer was properly understood. If the trap in the drain is not properly installed then it is possible for the vacuum created by the blower fan running to prevent the water from draining from the pan. Check that the trap is in place before proceeding with further diagnosis.......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: