Help needed with wiring 5 ton condenser to Air Handler.

Old 08-12-10, 04:23 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help needed with wiring 5 ton condenser to Air Handler.

Hello there, got this system installed a few weeks ago and I'm not sure the wiring from the t-stat to the handler, and then from handler to outdoor unit is correct. The hardware in question is, comfort-temp t-stat, goodman AEPF426016 variable speed air handler, and Goodman SSX160601AB condenser.

At T-stat

White - W
Yellow - Y
Blue - Y2
Red - Rc
Green - G

Last edited by hvacnewb83; 08-12-10 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Just learned that pictures cant be uploaded to site.
Old 08-12-10, 07:42 PM
what are the symptoms of the patient?

Old 08-12-10, 07:50 PM
H
Im thinking the 2 stage cooling isnt working

Im just wanting to make sure that they are wired up correctly, Im looking at the wiring harness, and the yellow wire from the thermostat and the yellow wire going to the condenser, are tied to the purple wire going to the handler harness. The pigtail with the two yellows concerns me.

Old 08-12-10, 08:09 PM
I think there should be 3 wires from the condenser to the AHU probably a PU "Purple" that ties to Y1 (low stage) a BL "Blue" that ties to the C (Common) a YL "yellow" that ties to Y2 (second stage) what exactly have you got there?

Old 08-12-10, 08:21 PM
H
at the condenser there are only the three wires you mentioned. The yellow, the blue, and the purple.

Its inside the handler that im concerned about, the pigtail that goes from the yellow wire that leads out to the condenser being pigtailed to the purple of the handler harness, along with the yellow from the thermostat. All three of those under one wirenut.

I really wish there was a way to upload a picture, it would help me explain much more clearly.

Thanx for your reply's Formermember

Old 08-12-10, 08:27 PM
you can probably decipher it. Just follow the wiring diagram carefully keeping in mind that Y1 is low and Y2 is high stage. If it turns out to be wired correct then recheck the tstat setup menu it may not be set to control a 2 stage unit? Do you have the installation manual for that tstat? If so go back through the setup menu and check it out. If the 2nd stage is working you will notice a big difference in the blower fan speed and greatly increased cooling capacity these 2 stage variable speed units are Fantastic I really like them.

Old 08-12-10, 08:35 PM
H
Thanx a million Former Member. Im gonna give it a good look over tomorrow during daylight.

Old 08-12-10, 08:47 PM
H
Didnt have to wait for daylight

I was looking in the AHU and the bundle that is labled "to condenser" has 4 wires. Blue, Yellow, Red, Brown.

The the Low stage wire in the condenser (purple wire) Corresponds to which one of the unused wires in the condenser bundle? The brown or the red?

Old 08-13-10, 05:27 AM
Hmm I looked up your AHU and you have some research to do here is the site so you can pull it up on your computer screen. You need to double check all you dip switch settings and jumpers etc plus your wiring and tstat setup data. This is why on the newer units you want a installer that has done a few and is familiar with the equipment plus he has the goodman tech help rep on speed dial on his cell phone. It looks like the brown wire is for the outdoor tstat IF it was installed?
http://www.buyunit.com/content/pdf/g...epfinstall.pdf

Old 08-13-10, 09:47 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Since this is a brand new system why would you take the chance of voiding your warranty by messing around with the thermostat setup or the dip switches? If you have any concerns or questions you should ask the company that installed the equipment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: