Cord GFI (?) tripping on window AC

Old 08-13-10, 12:50 PM
Question Cord GFI (?) tripping on window AC

Yesterday I bought the last large window unit of the 4 stores I visited. It's mounted in a hole in the wall of my workshop. Just to be sure I wasn't wasting my time on this open box unit I propped it up in the hole & plugged it in to test it. It worked just fine so today I spent the morning doing the final install & trim-out. Asked a neighbor over to help slide the heavy innards back into the cabinet & plugged it back in.

NOW the GFI on the end of the power cord keeps tripping as soon as it's reset. WTH???

Do these units have a compressor-tilt safety or some secret interlock someplace that would prevent it from starting & cause the protection circuit to trip? IS that cube on the plug end of the cord a GFI?

It's a Frigidaire 18,000 BTU 230V unit (FRA184MT2) on a dedicated circuit.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-10, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would have to guess that, in the course of manhandling the unit, a wire was pinched; came off of a connector; or was accidently pushed into another wire or the chassis. Pull it back out and start checking wiring.

Old 08-13-10, 10:24 PM
Unit wasn't jarred & there's really no possibility of a pinched wire--it's all shrouded, tightly clamped in place and nowhere near anything that moves. I've done some looking around at the wiring inside. I guess Electrolux used 100 little screws to hold together this tiny section of the thing in place of quality engineering Not impressed.

Nothing loose. I'm growing suspicious of the protector box on the end of the cord. I'm going to open it up & see what's in there. The only mention of it in the manual is to say if it trips there's a problem with the cord & it must be replaced. Crappy little thing is probably made in china and only lasted for 10 minutes of operation. Apparently it's a current sensor & not a GFI.

It trips as soon as it's plugged in or reset--not even trying to start the unit. Other than a dead short in the wiring it shouldn't be tripping when the unit is off. I measure 1400 ohms at the plug pins so I doubt there's an actual short inside.

Old 08-14-10, 07:30 AM
Found the problem. File this one under "You Gotta Be Kidding!"

I opened up the little chinese mystery box on the end of the cord & some water ran out. I guess I did it to myself by testing the unit before installing it While moving the innards around there was condensate spilling out and I guess some ran down the cord & into the box. The box is gasketed but there's no seal around the cord clamp or around the receptacle pins.

After blowing it out it starts & runs great. Frigidaire/Electrolux & China's reputations are somewhat restored.
It'll never happen to anyone else but there it is

Old 08-14-10, 09:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I was pretty sure that you had a short, but I would not have guessed condensate. We both learned something.

Old 04-06-12, 04:14 PM
reading this helped me fix same problem. surprising how wet it was inside the fault interrupter. had to cut the tamper proof screws to get to the innards.

Old 04-07-12, 08:15 AM
Aint Google great?

I've also found fixes and saved a bunch of $$ that way.