Help to identify the unit and potential problem

Old 08-13-10, 06:23 PM
A
aro
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Help to identify the unit and potential problem

We build this house 9 years ago in Irving, TX. We have 3 units: one for game room upstairs, another one for 3 bedrooms (this is the one that we are having the problem with), and one for rest of the house.

Couple of hours ago, the unit for bedrooms stopped cooling the rooms. I went outside and noticed that the motor is making noise (like it wants to start), but fan is not turning. I have also noticed the oil leak (see the picture) below.

Can you give me an idea what kind of issue this might be? I think they told me this is a 1 Ton unit; is this correct? Is 1 Ton is enough for 3 bedrooms/closets/bathrooms (about 650-700 sf). If I want to upgrade to 2 ton (or whatever is necessary to have enough power), do I need to change the Attic Air Handler Unit as well?

Any help with above questions will be appreciated.

Old 08-13-10, 06:51 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The "24" in the model number means it's a 2-ton unit, which is probably more than enough for 700 sq ft.

Old 08-13-10, 07:10 PM
A
aro
Thanks for the response, FogleBird. Any idea what the problem might be?

Old 08-13-10, 07:17 PM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No, sorry, I'm no HVAC guy... I just know that the tonnage is shown in multiples of 12. And as a very rough guideline, about one ton per 600 sq ft, but there are many more variables than just sq ft in determining proper size.

Old 08-13-10, 07:20 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Could be as simple as a blown, oil filled starting capacitor. You need to kill the power and open the area where the 220 wiring enters. If it is the cap leaking, it is usually an easy repair to replace it.

Old 08-14-10, 01:14 PM
A
aro
Thank you, goldstar. That's exactly what it was. The head of the starting capacitor was blown. I called Bryant and they send the guy over to replace it. He said that he never seen it blown like that and he thought that there might be something else wrong that made this to blow. The funny thing is that he said that there is no way of troubleshooting to see what could’ve cause this.

He charged $300 for capacitor that is $20-$30 on internet and took him 5 min at most to replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: