Criterion II Rheem-spec says washable permanent filter. ??

Old 08-14-10, 05:22 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Criterion II Rheem-spec says washable permanent filter. ??

We bought our house 4 years ago. It has a Rheem Criterion II, with an A frame cooling unit in the top. I can't find a filter anywhere. I took it apart (sort of) the other day and cleaned the coils, then marveled at how dirty they were. Ive had filters in it in the past, but the cheap ones that were kind of thin. I got a 3 month one today, installed it where I thought the filter should go and immediately cut off most airflow to the house.

I did some research and these are suppose to have a permanent filter (#8 in their bullet list) that is washable in them. I looked and sure enough there is a filter slide (or what looks like one in the bottom) Someone, the installer maybe, put a wire that just snaps into the duct on the right to hold (presumabley) a filter. That is where id been putting them in the past, but is that right? The first picture is where I though the filter should go. The second is where I went ahead and put it, metal frame down. Air flow in pictures is from the right to the left and then back up.

I dont want to run with no filter, but this seems like im supposed to-only using theirs (which I have never had). Is this just messed up or what?

Old 08-14-10, 07:53 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is there ductwork under where the filter is in the bottom. picture? If not it goes in the side. The wire rod looks like it's supposed to hold the washable filter in. Does a regular throwaway filter fit tight on the right side. Check your blower fan for dirt buildup on the fins. If they get very dirty they wont have much airflow. Here is a link to the manual for the unit. http://www.allreds.net/WS2/docs/rhe/rgph-man.pdf It shows the rod holding the washable filter in place but it might not work on a throwaway filter. To get a good seal on the filter you might have to get the original washable one from RHEEM.

Old 08-14-10, 10:03 PM
A
I looked ALL OVER for that manual-for an hour onlien today. Ive done lots of internet research for school over the years and I can usually find what im looking for-except this.

Thank you! The production stills I have found show the washable filter in the bottom for the Criterion, but I guess there are multiple models of it, too. i have put in the removable 3 month filter, and cleaned the blower fins. I also think my filter labeling was defective, as there was no arrow for air flow printed on mine, either.

thanks!

Old 08-14-10, 10:09 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The unit can either be ducted from the bottom (production stills) or ducted from the side by cutting a hole in the side of the cabinet (yours) as it shows in the manual.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: