Old GE central air unit

Old 08-19-10, 04:50 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old GE central air unit

I have an old GE central air unit, approx 30 years old, and the fan motor has went out. I am unable to spin the motor shaft. I am looking for suggestions on finding a replacement motor.

I have removed the old one and have all the tech informaiton.

Thanks,

Old 08-20-10, 07:44 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
An HVAC shop or electrical supply house should be able to come up with an approximate match for your condensor fan motor. However, this may require some adjustments to the wiring, mounting brackets, or shaft length. You will need a new capacitor, also.

At 30 years, your AC unit has lasted two lifetimes, and you should be considering replacing the whole AC system rather than patching it. A new system would chop your electric bills greatly compared to your old system, which likely has an SEER of 8.0 or less.

Old 08-20-10, 09:20 PM
S
I did find an approx match and have it installed and working. I did take some mods in the wiring and shortening the shaft.

Thanks for the response. I realize I am living on borrowed time with this unit just can't afford the replacement yet, the repair was less then $100.

Thanks again.

Old 08-21-10, 10:20 AM
I would start saving up for a new system. You could save 100 to 300bux a month on electric bills. I wish systems these days would last 20 years, much less 30....Install a new unit in March of next year before it gets hot. The ac installers arent as busy and I personally think they take their time and arent under the gun to slam and go as they are when its 100deg and they have 3 more installs that day. Be sure to get a manual J load calculation if possible. I replaced my 12 year old system with the same size as I had, and it seems to be a bit oversized. Good luck

Old 08-25-10, 09:24 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
might want to check out the tax credit there are a lot of people taking advantage of this program. The way I see it is a person can upgrade to a very high SEER unit and still only pay the amount for a std system (after the tax rebate)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: