Cover For A/C Outside Condenser A Good Idea ?

Old 08-21-10, 01:06 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cover For A/C Outside Condenser A Good Idea ?

hello,

Tried posting this a few days ago, but never made it to the Forum for some reason. Will try again. If a double-post, I apologize.

Live in New England.
Lots of snow in winter.

Re a house air conditioner I have just had installed, where the A/C's Condenser unit is, of course, located outside.

Do most folks put a cover of some sort over it in the winter ?

Or, just let the snow and rain fall thru the grill on the top and to the bottom ?

Was wondering, if a cover is used, about condensation, etc.

What do most folks do ?

A simple piece of plywood over the whole top a "good" idea ?

Thoughts, and any pros and cons, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 08-21-10, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would equate the condenser covers to walking into your great grandparents house and they have all the furniture covered with the white sheets and the children are not allowed to sit on the furniture. I saw all that old furniture that they thought was so great sale for just a few dollars in a auction after they passed. I would call it wasted effort. Spend your time and effort taking the grand kids fishing is my advice and forget about the unit, it is designed to be exposed to the elements same as GOOD furniture should be designed to have the grandchildren sit on it if they wish. Hmmmpfh now there that was my opinion that is what u wanted right?

Old 08-21-10, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I put large mesh screen over mine and held it in place with some speaker magnets I think. Didn't restrict airflow...but kept leaves and twigs out. Made the spring cleanout much easier.

You ARE planning on cleaning it out aren't you?

Old 08-21-10, 05:43 PM
R
Kool Kap

Kool Kap is not the type cover the other member strongly voiced an opinion about. I would stay away from the full fitted, blanket type as it will trap moisture, and prematurely rust your condenser. That type also doesnít prevent leaves and other debris from entering and collecting inside the pan since it is removed after the snow has stopped.

A Kool Kap is designed to keep out leaves, dirt, debris, snow and ice. Being in FL, snow is not an issue for most parts of the state. Having a large oak tree nearby my condenser, leaf litter from tree was a constant hassle which caused extra maintenance, and prematurely rusted out a pan on a former condenser. My A/C service tech suggested I buy a Kool Kap based on a picture he had seen but didnít know where to buy one. Four yrs. ago, they were hard to find . . . no Internet merchants; after calling numerous local A/C dealers, finally found one who had used it, and knew where to order one. I paid $47 back then, and thought it was over priced relative to how it was constructed . . . amazingly simple design. I now see a couple Internet merchants offering this product at $75-$100 . . . way overpriced, and yet the one I have has more than paid for itself. I no longer have any leaf litter, acorns, twigs, or tree frogs finding their way through the fan blade guard. I see no reason why this device would not keep out snow. Read info as Kool Kaps will not fit round or cylindrical shaped condensers.

It comes ready to install, and takes less than 10 minutes to do so. I added two small stainless steel machine screws (not included) to each self-stick hinge to assure they didnít come off over time.

Kool Cap Protective Cover

Kool Kaps and Accessories - Kool Kap

Old 08-24-10, 05:40 PM
R
When I did installs customers would ask that same question.

I would tell them if they wanted to cover it just put a board on top (covering the fan) and put a brick on it. That will allow air to flow through the coils to keep the unit from getting condensation inside and causing premature rotting of the unit.

Then in the spring remove the board and open the unit and take out any leaves that may have gotten to the unit.

****************Remember to disconnect the power before removing the fan Assembly and putting your hands into the unit*************************

Old 08-24-10, 05:59 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Of course if you really have a heat pump.... That wasn't mentioned.

Old 08-25-10, 08:21 AM
kool cap looks pretty kool. That would eliminate the very real possibility of someone accidentally starting the unit with a full cover still in place and destroying the compressor. Very prudent choice do you have great grandchildren?

Old 08-25-10, 08:51 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,281 Upvotes on 1,219 Posts
I put a weighted board on the top just to protect it from ice coming off the roof or trees

Old 08-25-10, 08:55 AM
I guess the frozen tundra up north is pretty hard on equipment and people. If Al Gore is right it should be getting a lot warmer in a few years and maybe the caps will not be needed then. Might be the proud owner of some ocean front property?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: