AC Not Cooling

Old 08-22-10, 02:08 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC Not Cooling

York H2RE042S06A

Noticed it was running more and more frequently, then that it was cooling below 80 degrees. I turned it off and called a repair company.

The technician who arrived said the compressor is bad. He said compressors for this model are not available, so the entire condenser needs replacing at about $5600.

He bled off freon claiming doing so would allow the unit to cool. He checked the air coming from the vents, claiming it was 76-77 degrees and that I could run the system until deciding whether to replace it.

There was another thread here where someone had the same until in the same city. Replacement for his was quoted at $2500.

After the technician departed the AC ran for an hour but the indoor temp remained at 88 degrees. The air coming out of the vents, according to my thermometer, was 88 degrees.

I have called another technician who is coming tomorrow for a second opinion. Meanwhile the AC is off.

I'm concerned about the quoted price, and why he bled off freon, and of course the fact that the AC isn't cooling the house.

Old 08-22-10, 02:32 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Prices vary across the country. Bleeding off freon sounds like a major scam.
I believe that you have a 3 1/2 ton unit. In my corner of the world, you should be able to get a low end Trane ( 13 SEER) with a new "A" coil installed for $3,500 give or take, with a 10 year warranty.

Old 08-22-10, 03:15 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The tech that came out is trying to rip you off. There are compressors available for your unit. There could be nothing wrong with your compressor. It might have just been low on refrigerant. The guy was just trying to sell you a new unit. Hopefully the next tech will treat you right.

Old 08-22-10, 03:28 PM
F
He said the freon pressure was too high. He bled off freon to lower the pressure.

Old 08-22-10, 06:35 PM
T
Originally Posted by flibbits
He said the freon pressure was too high. He bled off freon to lower the pressure.
Freon pressure being high is usually not indicative of a bad compressor unless the pressures are equalizing do to bad valves. And as stated compressors are readily available.

I would want my money back from that guy if I was you.

And as mentioned prices do vary by market. I've worked New York the price would be about $2200 for a new condensing unit there and about $1500 in Florida where I am now. So this guy at first take looks like big trouble.

Last edited by theapprentice; 08-22-10 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-24-10, 06:40 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I like to guess at solutions so here is my best guess based upon the information provided. You probably need is a good coil cleaning and NOW probably a recharge of refrigerant. You for sure need a couple more opinions from someone that is right there to check it out........

Old 08-24-10, 03:27 PM
York H2RE042S06A

Noticed it was running more and more frequently, then that it was cooling below 80 degrees. I turned it off and called a repair company.

The technician who arrived said the compressor is bad. He said compressors for this model are not available, so the entire condenser needs replacing at about $5600.

He bled off freon claiming doing so would allow the unit to cool. He checked the air coming from the vents, claiming it was 76-77 degrees and that I could run the system until deciding whether to replace it.

There was another thread here where someone had the same until in the same city. Replacement for his was quoted at $2500.

After the technician departed the AC ran for an hour but the indoor temp remained at 88 degrees. The air coming out of the vents, according to my thermometer, was 88 degrees.

I have called another technician who is coming tomorrow for a second opinion. Meanwhile the AC is off.

I'm concerned about the quoted price, and why he bled off freon, and of course the fact that the AC isn't cooling the house.
Therefore, when he got done bleeding off refrigerant it wouldn't cool at all...

Do not operate that unit with insufficient refrigerant - the compressor will overheat!
He should come back & undo his dirty trick!

Last edited by HVAC RETIRED; 08-24-10 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Typo...
Old 08-24-10, 05:28 PM
R
York H2RE042S06A

In my opinion he has scammed you.

If the compressor was not running when he got there there are several reasons that it may not have been running. It could be off on overload, could be (if applicable) a bad fuse contactor or a few other things.

He took the freon out so you would suffer in the heat so you would agree to them replacing the unit.

I have been out of the industry for a while BUT you should be able to get a replacement compressor if needed. BUT it does not pay to replace just the compressor unless it is under warranty (it is usually 5 years from date of purchase) or it is a high end unit example 2 stage etc.

I would get another company (that is recommended by the BBB) to come out and look at the unit. Unfortunately you may have to pay for some freon for him to check out the system. Also keep i mind a typical system onluy holds about 5-7 LBS of freon.

Good luck, and do not recommend the company that scammed you

Old 08-25-10, 08:28 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
quickest and most common diagnosis is bad compressor, it only takes a moment to act like you are checking something and recommend a new system and there is a LOT more profit in that than messing around with a repair job that can tie you up for xeveral hours for minimal pay. Heck you could be out misdiagnosing several units and writing up sales contracts. Making boocoodles of cash instead of wasting time on a actual repair "maximize profitability". Note: if you diagnose enough bad compressors you are bound to be correct part of the time by the law of averages. Live long and prosper my friends. (buyer beware)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: