Need Price Check: On Freon for AC

Old 08-23-10, 03:40 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Price Check: On Freon for AC

Hello, I was looking to see if anyone knows what the cost of Freon would be per pound. I just called a tech and he said it would be 79.99$ for him just to come out here and 62.00$ per pound of freon. Does that sound correct? or should I just look elsewhere.

Also, What is the normal range of cost per pound of freon? I live in Indiana.

Old 08-23-10, 04:18 PM
F
Here in Fla with the heat and humidity , I know Ind has some , I was born there but just a week ago I was charged $25 per lb for R-22 freon , The service call was $65.00 + 2lbs of freon = $115.00 for them to come out and tell me something I already knew , I had a leak and was low on refridgerant

Old 08-23-10, 04:23 PM
M
Originally Posted by Flafyrman
Here in Fla with the heat and humidity , I know Ind has some , I was born there but just a week ago I was charged $25 per lb for R-22 freon , The service call was $65.00 + 2lbs of freon = $115.00 for them to come out and tell me something I already knew , I had a leak and was low on refridgerant

Did they fix the leak and if so how much did they charge? Thanks for the info.

Old 08-23-10, 04:44 PM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
You have to be certified to purchase freon. So, may be that 's where they get you. To mess around with freon, the fine is pretty steep. (around $30000 fine) So the best thing to do is get your system fixed, never have to worry about it.

Old 08-23-10, 05:35 PM
M
Originally Posted by missjsmith.11
Agree! Refrigerant is low only if there is a leak. Fix it first! Otherwise, you'll be adding it until the cows' come home.

Old 08-23-10, 07:18 PM
M
Anyone know how much a leak fix would normally run at?

Old 08-23-10, 10:51 PM
F
Originally Posted by missjsmith.11
http://forum.doityourself.com/air-co...dler-coil.html

No , i wouldn't let them rip me off for a replacement coil , put 2 lbs freon in it and left the leak , I have also been finding online and was highly recommended if I didnt want to pay for a coil replacement there is a sealant that goes inside the coil that works like Fix-A-Flat for tires , And the fine is $10,000 for 1st offense of dispensing a refridgerant without an EPA Cert.

Old 08-24-10, 05:59 AM
It costs a lot to run a business (if it is done correctly) they are probably trying to cover their costs. You can probably find a jackleg to come out and put some Refrigerant in on the cheap if you are persistent, this will punish this company even more that is trying to operate on the up and up (how dare they do that) but hey no one ever said that life is fair right?

Old 08-24-10, 07:06 AM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Violation of Clean Air Act is now $32,500 per day per violation. The person reported you get $10,000. So, watch your neighbors who may be hate you to begin with... By the way, don't never use fix-a-flat material in your AC system... lots of discussions about seal-a-leak on this forum bofore...you can search for it.

Old 08-24-10, 01:13 PM
J
Leak stopper will make someone very happy, and it won't be you.

If it locks up the compressor, how much would you save?

Why not get your EPA card?

Old 08-24-10, 04:36 PM
F
Originally Posted by clocert
Violation of Clean Air Act is now $32,500 per day per violation. The person reported you get $10,000. So, watch your neighbors who may be hate you to begin with... By the way, don't never use fix-a-flat material in your AC system... lots of discussions about seal-a-leak on this forum bofore...you can search for it.
Sorry if I wasn't clear on that , Meant a "Fix-A-Flat" type meaning it works the same way as Fix-A-Flat , Inject it in and let the system pressure push it out through the leak , I have heard nothing good about it except from a company wanting to charge $$ for a service call , They were really trying to push Tranes brand of sealant saying they've done XXX amount and have never had a call back or problem with it . Not sure I want to chance it

Old 08-24-10, 05:15 PM
R
If the stop leak was to be added to a system and the compressor did fail then (and only if the compressor was still under warranty) the manufacturer would may honor that warranty unless the leak stop was approved by them.

I remember when we used to use dye to find leaks, it took some time for the compressor manufacturers to approve the florescent dye.

As for the leak if I remember correctly if you have a leak then it must be repaired, the tech (by law) could not keep adding refrigerant to the system.

Even the leak check could only be done with a trace of refrigerant. I used to use nitrogen and pressurize the lines, indoor and out door coil separately if the leak was small.

Old 08-24-10, 06:38 PM
Leak sealer should only be used in older equipment where the leak has been identified as being in the evap coils and it is cost prohibitive to replace the coil. It actually does work but the key is locating the leak and it needs to be in the evap coil to have the best chance at success. The nitrogen test is absolutely the best way to leak test I have ran the pressure up to 300 psig and let me tell you if there is the tiniest pinhole in the system it will sound like a train whistle at that pressure makes leak testing easy. I think most techs are afraid to put enough pressure on the coils to really test them the manufacturers only recommend 150 so it skeers most techs off from doing a high psi test. I consider it finding the weakest link heck if a line blows out it was about to go anyway and needed repairing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: