$1,100. to replace a thermal expantion valve

Old 08-27-10, 01:51 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
$1,100. to replace a thermal expantion valve

I had a local heating and a/c company send a repairman to check my Trane XL1200 heatpump which is not cooling well and sometimes the inside coils ice up. He says the problem is a defective thermal expantion valve and it will cost $1,100 to repair it.
Does his diagnosis and price sound right?
Since cooling season is almost over, could I wait untill spring and see how it heats this winter? I am assuming the TXV on the outside unit takes over and the inside TXV is not in use when in heat mode.
Craig

Old 08-27-10, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not sure on the Trane but if it uses the dual bypass TXV's then you are correct and the cooling TXV will not affect the heating ability. It is actually not very common to have a bad TXV, they tend to be easily blamed for just about any cooling problems you may want to get a second opinion on that. I have seen many TXV's replaced where it was not required. 1100 bones is pretty steep, you will want to get some more pricing on that I would think if in fact you need a new TXV.

Old 08-27-10, 04:03 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
my trane system was installed 2008.
the tech said it's TXV because it's not cooling weel. because part is still under warranty, replacing TXV labor + Frion filter drier was quoted $750.00 (after charging me $85.00 for diag). this is in TX.
I'm getting second opinion.

Old 08-27-10, 05:25 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Have you search-engined "heat pump icing up"? See what you read.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: