AC Fan (outside) is freezing.

Old 08-30-10, 12:37 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC Fan (outside) is freezing.

My home is four years old. The first summer I was here my AC ran out of coolant. The technician who installed it in the first place came out to check it out and couldn't find any type of leak. Filled it with freon, and we were good to go.

After three months. Low again. So he came out again. He opened up the walls to look for leaks, but still couldn't find anything. He replaced the inside coil and the compressor to see if maybe they were faulty.

Problem seemed fixed. That was in 2008.

It is now August 2010, and we are having AC issues again. The first time, everything was working fine but the air just wasn't cold. This time, the large line to the compressor outside is freezing up right outside the fan. After a while, its totally frozen and no more air gets blown. I cleaned the outside of the compressor, I changed the filters, and then ran it again. Surprisingly, the AC worked about a full week before it froze over again.

Clearly, there is something wrong with the AC (freon leak?)

Could it be the same leak as before? Could it be something else?

Any help would be nice.

Also, the tech that installed the AC in my unit two years ago is coming again wednesday. What should I expect. Is there a proper way to find a freon leak that I should know about so that I can make sure this guy is competent?

Thanks

Old 08-30-10, 02:54 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sounds like you have that leak again. The leak is not that small (took only one week to freeze again), so he should be able to find it.

Old 08-30-10, 05:17 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To find a leak, need to use a freon sniffer. Another way is to over-pressurize the system with nitrogen, and listen for the leak.

Freon isn't "used." It's only is lost from a leak.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: