2 Problems with Rheem gas/electric unit

Old 09-01-10, 07:19 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 Problems with Rheem gas/electric unit

Okay, hello to the good people here, im brand new, just registered, and am praying someone will reply ASAP. My first problem is the least important in my uneducated opinion, that is that the blower motor wil not blow air at all. On the fan, heat, or ac modes at the inside control. Although when i go outside and give the squirrel cage a helping lil push, it takes off on its own from there and turns just fine. Im assuming this is the cap, right? Okay problem number 2 is that the unit keeps freezing up, and i mean REALLY freezing up, ive never saw this amount of ice on any unit ever, ice everywhere, around the condensor and all copper tubing, and in the radiator looking thing with the fins that are easily bent. I remove all the ice carefully and put the unit on "fan" mode and give the fan a spin and it blows air in my house, and i cant swear by it but i think its freezing up then as well, even when its only on "fan" mode. Soooooo...please help, this all started 2 days ago, and both problems were noticed at the same time. My gut says that, when the unit is turned on, the fan doesnt start and doesnt blow and this leads to all the ice...but i really am just guessing! Any help will be greatly appreciated, im a pretty good DIY guy so dont hesitate to throw out any high falutin terms or anything like that, looking forward to hearing from ANYONE AT ALL!!!!! -Brad Jones

EDIT: oh, one more question....if my cap is designed to be the kind that runs on start-up and normal operation, and is bad causing the fan to not spin at a high enough speed, can this be the sole problem here? cuz when i do give it a push and the fan runs, it still doesnt seem as forceful coming out of the vents as normal?!?!?!

Last edited by Buzz_187; 09-01-10 at 07:23 PM. Reason: additional info, sorry
Old 09-01-10, 08:23 PM
B
okay one more piece of info to throw in is that, i had the side cover off the unit when i was actually letting it run on fan and feeling the air blowing inside. Thats when i thought it was blowing not quite as hard as normal.......i just went back outside and was looking around in the unit and saw that there are four little holes in the very first part of the duct that the squirrel cage blows into that lead right outside and are only plugged or covered by the side cover that i had taken off, so i jump started the blower, slid the side back on real quick and shot it down, then ran back inside and it is blowing just like normal now, AND AND AND its blowing cold, i know this is only gonna last till it kicks off since it on "auto" but hell i cant just leave it running allllll the time......so is everyone thinking what im thinkin?? capacitor?!?!? now, only to see if it freezes up again....and what would you think then if it did with all the new info in the light??? -Brad
wow, no one? really?

Last edited by Buzz_187; 09-01-10 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-02-10, 07:13 AM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
I am a little confused about which of your fan/blower does not work ? or neither of them work ?

Old 09-02-10, 08:12 AM
B
Originally Posted by clocert
I am a little confused about which of your fan/blower does not work ? or neither of them work ?
yeah i was a little frantic last night, so let me try to clear this up.
MY PROBLEM: when the unit kicks on, in auto mode, nothing comes out of the vents. So, when i go outside to check it out, the whole thing is a block of ice!

MY THEORY: The capacitor is bad. I dont know if its a "start and run" or just a "start" capacitor, but when i give the thing a helping lil push to get started, it takes off and remains turning on its own and air then flows out of my vents in my home. This is the blower right? Its a rather larger squirrel cage type.

Last edited by Buzz_187; 09-02-10 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-02-10, 04:10 PM
C
OK, it is the air handler's blower. Looks like all you need to do is to replace that Capacitor(at least this is the first step). The outside unit freeze may be caused by this blower problem. SO take the capacitor and match it in the shop, put the new one on and see if that fix all your problem. Thaw all ice before start the system again.

Old 09-03-10, 11:55 AM
B
ok, will do, and post back when i have some results, and thank you so much for your help! -Brad

Old 09-25-10, 11:26 AM
B
Help again please...

OKay, im back, with more problems no doubt. It was indeed the capacitor the first time and its been fixed for a couple weeks now. But got home from an overnight trip and the downstairs was hot! Went outside and the compressor was making a humming noise but wasnt starting up at all. Air WAS coming out of the vents inside the house but it was warm, so........whatcha think?!??! hurry please i have relatives in for the weekend!!! Thanks so much in advance....-Brad Jones!

Old 09-25-10, 12:30 PM
B
A Lil More Info..

I just went out with my multimeter and did a few checks, there is definitely 240 volts on the input and output sides of the contactor, if i give the outside fan above the compressor a lil helping spin, it will start. But still no compressor start-up. Im almost positive, it will turn out to be the capacitor, but i just need a lil reassuring from someone who knows their stuff. Does this seem to be the problem now again, the other capacitor? The fix for the 1st problem by the way, WAS the run capacitor for the blower. Is it common for both run capacitors to go out at the same time?!?! And is there any way to fire up the compressor without the capacitor?

Old 09-25-10, 01:01 PM
C
Sounds like a capacitor problem again. DO you have a double or single capacitor in the outside unit? If it is a double, it may affect both of your fan and compressor at the same time. Anyway, it is cheap, go replace them and see if that fix your problem. Your compressor needs a capacitor to start.

Old 09-25-10, 01:49 PM
B
Progress

Yeah, my unit actually has 2 capacitors, and the suspect one is a "dual" cap, for the compressor and fan, its gotta be the problem huh? where can i buy one?!?!

Old 09-25-10, 03:25 PM
C
Your local AC parts store should have them. if not you can order online, but it may take a few days. ( I thought you bought one just a week or so ago...)

Old 09-27-10, 10:03 AM
B
I did

Yeah I did by a cap a couple of weeks ago, but that was the other, "single" cap with only 2 terminals on top. This one was a "dual" with 3 terminals on the top. My unit has both.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: