AC drain clog mystery

Old 09-06-10, 08:52 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC drain clog mystery

I noticed my secondary AC drain dripping about a week ago. I attempted to suck out the main drain with a wet/dry vac a few times with no luck. I poured bleach down the main line and let it sit for a few days and tried sucking the drain again with no luck.

Today I opened up the main drain in the attic near the unit and used a pressure nozzle on my water hose to spray into it for about 5 seconds.

Here is the mystery. The water I sprayed in never came out the drain. I know it's a clog because when I suck with the vac I can tell the vac is straining hard. Also, why would the AC start dripping into the pan if the line was broken instead of clogged?

The pipe runs down into the ceiling and from there I assume it it continues down to the foundation slab and then out.

Anyone have any recommendations before I call someone out?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-10, 01:10 PM
Z
It turns out that the outside drain I thought was the AC main drain is not. The pipe at the AC is 3/4 and the outside is 1/2, not the same drain. I cannot find the correct drain, where could it be?

Old 09-06-10, 03:23 PM
C
Usually the primary drain goes to your plumbing system, you won't see the drain output. The outside drain pipe(s) is for your water heater.

Old 09-06-10, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
the 3/4 and 1/2' may be the same. It is possible to add a 3/4 to 1/2 in reducer and finish the run with 1/2".
So it is time to check the pressure relief valve on the hot water heater. Now why would anyone want to heat hot water??

Temperature Pressure Relief Valves on Water Heaters: test, inspect, replace, repair guide

HTH JIm

Old 09-07-10, 10:27 AM
R
I just had a guy who fixed my AC problems. one of the problems was the primary drain clogged. He cleaned up the clogging under the sink.

for my system, the primary drain pipe is hooked up with my sink upstairs.
check under all your sinks. you may find there is one extra PVC pipe hooked up woth the P-Trap under your sink.

that's how mine works.

Old 09-30-10, 03:03 PM
L
My attic unit has an exterior condensation water (pan) under the box with its own drain pipe that extrudes outside just like the water heater pipe does, the attic main (element and Blower unit has its own pipe that empties into the plumbing, ((two separate drain pipes)). I put a valve between the attic unit and the flush out opening, for future flush cleanings towards the street and not back into the box.

Last edited by LM213; 09-30-10 at 03:39 PM.