A/C Drain Pipe condensation help

Old 09-08-10, 03:15 PM
I
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A/C Drain Pipe condensation help

Folks,
Noticed following:
1. Patch of spackling peeling in bathroom, ceiling intact.
2. In attic, a/c drain pipe has small piece not insulated. Can wipe moisture from pipe, also feel damp attic insulation material. I am pretty sure it is condensation not leaky pipe joints, cannot see any actual water droplets with both a/c running. Wiped joints with silicone sealant and placed sponge underneath the pipe.

What I need help with:
The bare PVC pipe is a a difficult piece to insulate judging by whoever did it to begin with. It's like a double right angle, 3inch drop then 90 elbow then 4 inch horizontal then 90 elbow, then final drop (this final piece is fully insulated).

Should I attempt the duck tape / foam insulation approach or is there a can of magic I can use that will do a better job of insulating the nooks and crannies? or do I use can of magic and foam insulator or what? Help please.

Thanks
Chris

Old 09-09-10, 06:46 AM
I
AC Pipe condensation

Originally Posted by iceflow
Folks,
Noticed following:
1. Patch of spackling peeling in bathroom, ceiling intact.
2. In attic, a/c drain pipe has small piece not insulated. Can wipe moisture from pipe, also feel damp attic insulation material. I am pretty sure it is condensation not leaky pipe joints, cannot see any actual water droplets with both a/c running. Wiped joints with silicone sealant and placed sponge underneath the pipe.

What I need help with:
The bare PVC pipe is a a difficult piece to insulate judging by whoever did it to begin with. It's like a double right angle, 3inch drop then 90 elbow then 4 inch horizontal then 90 elbow, then final drop (this final piece is fully insulated).

Should I attempt the duck tape / foam insulation approach or is there a can of magic I can use that will do a better job of insulating the nooks and crannies? or do I use can of magic and foam insulator or what? Help please.

Thanks
Chris
Folks,
I'm beginning to think this board has had it's best days. What I've noticed is there are lots of people vewing the threads but no one replies. That suggests the experts are not around anymore. I've noticed it on other posts I've made and also seen similair comments from other users.

Old 09-09-10, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Jeez...It's only been about 12 hrs. Some of those looks may be by people like me..that read everything but have no real info to contribute. Anyway.....

Personally, I've never seen an insulated condensate drain (maybe just on Jupiter? lol), but some properly sized foam insulation is pretty easy to fit even with angles and such. Just cut triangle shaped pieces out of each side on the split in the insulation..that will allow it to fold into a 90 degree angle. Use foil tape..not the grey duct tape.

Old 09-09-10, 02:56 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is there a trap in the drain line? If not, conditioned air will blow through the drain line, conceivably leading to condensation.

But I wouldn't rule out a condensate leak in spite of what you have described.

Old 09-10-10, 02:05 PM
I
AC Drain Pipe condensation

Thanks for the replies. I've tried some of the pipe wrap that has an adhesive side. Sort of worked ok until the adhesive picked up attic insulation then it would not stick too good. I've used tie wraps to ensure it stays in place. There is one very small section that I can feel but can't see as it is under the attic floor boards. Maybe there is a leak in the piping but I'm still think condensation. The attic gets up to 125 degrees, we are in Houston. Thanks for the idea on the triangle pieces I may have to try that with the small uncovered piece.

ThanksBeer 4U2

Old 09-12-10, 04:19 PM
I
It was a leak!

Originally Posted by Mike Speed 30
Is there a trap in the drain line? If not, conditioned air will blow through the drain line, conceivably leading to condensation.

But I wouldn't rule out a condensate leak in spite of what you have described.
Well it turned out to be a leak in the pipe. So I was wrong. Some months ago we had the unit replaced and it appears the ac guy 'Push fitted' all the condensate pipe connections. One of them had flexed away enough to cause a tiny leak over time, not enough to put a hole in the ceiling drywall, but enough to cause the ceiling paint and knockdown material to peel away. I have now pvc glued all the connections and covered them in the foam pipe wrap with a final wrap of the metal tape. Nice and dry!!
So thanks guys for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated!! Beer 4U2

Best Regards

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: