Same unit different issue

Old 09-14-10, 06:11 PM
A
aro
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Same unit different issue

I had a blown oil filled starting capacitor on this unit about a month ago (see here). Guy came over and replaced it and it was working just fine for a while. He has mentioned though that the freon is bit low, but not too bad and it should take trough the summer. This weekend AC was running, but was blowing the hot air. I went outside to check the copper pipe that runs from unit to the attic and it was worm. I turned the AC off and started back on in couple of hours and it worked just fine again until this evening. Can this be that low freon issue or is there anything else that could have gone wrong?

Any help with above questions will be appreciated.

Old 09-14-10, 08:04 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
First. let's find out if the freon is low or not. If low, but how low ? I assume you don't have a gauge, but you can check the inside temperature split. if it is more than 15 F degrees, the freon may not be low. Second, when the A/C blow warm air this time, does the outside fan and compressor running ? One of them running ? or both of them running, or both of them stopped ?

Old 09-14-10, 08:08 PM
A
aro
Originally Posted by clocert
First. let's find out if the freon is low or not. If low, but how low ? I assume you don't have a gauge, but you can check the inside temperature split. if it is more than 15 F degrees, the freon may not be low. Second, when the A/C blow warm air this time, does the outside fan and compressor running ? One of them running ? or both of them running, or both of them stopped ?
Thank you for the replay, clocert.

Just turned the AC back on and went outside. The fan is not turning, but unit sounds like it runs. I assume the compressor is running.

Old 09-15-10, 06:55 AM
C
Turn off A/C, push the outside fan, if it moves freely, then may be bad capacitor again. If it does not move, then may be a bad fan motor. As you said, capacitor is cheap, if you can put one in yourself, it may only cost you $20. Not sure how handy you are or if you are a DIY person, but if you open the outside box, you can check the fan terminal to see if the 240V power is there. this will find out why the fan is not running.

Old 09-15-10, 11:34 AM
A
aro
This is ironic, but I had the tune-up service scheduled for this morning. The repairman came over and check everything. He had to refill bit of Freon and AC working just fine. But, while he was checking other units, the fan on this unit stopped again. He said that he checked everything (capacitor, contactor, power) and everything was working fine. So, he concluded that fan motor is not good. He’s changing it for total of $460. He installed the wrong one then he said that the one that he just installed has too many variable speeds, so he had to remove it again and run to get another one. He is just out of the collage, so I won’t say anything, but really hopping that he knows what’s his doing.

Are things he’s doing sound right? I hope the $460 is reasonable.

Thanks for your help

Old 09-15-10, 12:35 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aro
This is ironic, but I had the tune-up service scheduled for this morning. The repairman came over and check everything. He had to refill bit of Freon and AC working just fine. But, while he was checking other units, the fan on this unit stopped again. He said that he checked everything (capacitor, contactor, power) and everything was working fine. So, he concluded that fan motor is not good. He’s changing it for total of $460. He installed the wrong one then he said that the one that he just installed has too many variable speeds, so he had to remove it again and run to get another one. He is just out of the collage, so I won’t say anything, but really hopping that he knows what’s his doing.

Are things he’s doing sound right? I hope the $460 is reasonable.

Thanks for your help
Definitely doesn't sound like he knows what he's doing. That machine as most just has a one speed condenser motor. He probably was trying to put in a inside blower motor which would be wrong on many levels. Hopefully he is now getting the right one but I would be very suspicious. Prices as always will vary by area. $460 is on the high side but in certain areas is the norm.

Old 09-15-10, 01:00 PM
A
aro
Originally Posted by theapprentice
Definitely doesn't sound like he knows what he's doing. That machine as most just has a one speed condenser motor. He probably was trying to put in a inside blower motor which would be wrong on many levels. Hopefully he is now getting the right one but I would be very suspicious. Prices as always will vary by area. $460 is on the high side but in certain areas is the norm.
Thanks for replay, theapprentice
He installed other motor and it worked, but it runs a lot slower (visually I would say half the RPM of other units). I told him this doesn't look right and he left it on and said that his service master will come over in the morning to take a look. He said that this “universal” motor might not work as it has more amps and there is a chance that they will need the special order.

Here are the specs of original motor that was bad:

GE Condenser FAN MOTOR
HP 1/6
V 208-230
A .90
RPM 1500

What i need to look to make sure I am not being screwed? I will be missing the work for 2 days in the row, so want to make sure that it’s being done correctly in the morning.

Old 09-15-10, 01:22 PM
A
aro
Forgot to mention, he had to cut the arm (or pull or whatever it’s called) on both motors to install the fan on it. It was about 6” long.

Old 09-15-10, 03:00 PM
C
Cut the 'arm' is OK, so to fit it in. but half speed is NO NO. Is the small copper pipe feels hot ?? should be ambient temperature or a little bit higher, little warm is OK, but not hot... And no matter how they fix it, tell them you want inside temperature split at least 15 degree F, prefer 17 or 18..

Old 09-15-10, 04:34 PM
A
aro
The small copper pipe feels burning hot, so I just turned AC off.

Old 09-15-10, 07:43 PM
T
Originally Posted by aro
Thanks for replay, theapprentice
He installed other motor and it worked, but it runs a lot slower (visually I would say half the RPM of other units). I told him this doesn't look right and he left it on and said that his service master will come over in the morning to take a look. He said that this “universal” motor might not work as it has more amps and there is a chance that they will need the special order.

Here are the specs of original motor that was bad:

GE Condenser FAN MOTOR
HP 1/6
V 208-230
A .90
RPM 1500

What i need to look to make sure I am not being screwed? I will be missing the work for 2 days in the row, so want to make sure that it’s being done correctly in the morning.
Those universal motors That I've seen are usually 1075 RPM. Thats probably what he installed. I would say you can vary about 50 or so RPM, but not 425. This guy needs to be watched.

Old 09-15-10, 09:02 PM
W
I hate to say this but I think I would cut my losses with these guys and get someone out there that knows what is going on or have a diffrent tech with experience from that company come out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: