AC condensate tube blocked in the middle of the slab

Old 09-27-10, 11:49 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC condensate tube blocked in the middle of the slab

At one of my rental properties, water was collecting around the AC evaporator so I checked to see where the drain tube was blocked. The end of the tube was covered by dirt although surprisingly that was not where the blockage was occurring. By running an auger down the line I determined that the blockage was about 17 feet underneath the slab. We tried blowing it out with compressed air from both ends and used the auger to try to plow through the blockage, but no luck.

I've had this problem happen on two separate properties I have owned, and I can't understand what might be causing such a formidable blockage. One theory I had was that over time the black plastic drain tube had somehow become crimped, but I'm not sure if that is very likely.

Has anyone else seen this, and what is the explanation and solution?

Old 09-27-10, 08:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Pipes break under slabs all the time! Most off the time it is the ground shifting of the pipe is warn out. Time for a jack hammer or a condensate pump

Old 10-01-10, 09:02 AM
B
Well, it turned out that it was nothing more than regular old slimy gunk that had collected at some low spot and gotten compacted perhaps by trying to blow compressed air through the line. I'm not sure why my auger couldn't work its way through it.

Old 10-01-10, 09:59 AM
T
How did you end up getting it cleared out?

Old 10-01-10, 06:50 PM
B
Once we got an auger through it, we just shot water through it, and the "gunk" shot out the end.

Old 10-02-10, 11:18 AM
Invest in a small (1 1/2 hp) wet dry vac. The wand will fit nicely on 3/4 pvc. Suck from the outside and blow from the inside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: