Availability of A/C parts beyond OEM ? is this the end of my A/C unit ?

Old 10-02-10, 05:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Availability of A/C parts beyond OEM ? is this the end of my A/C unit ?

I am a retiree living in Florida who would like to keep my A/C unit running as long as possible . I am primarily concerned about the limited availability of 3 critical components , evaporator coil, condensor coil and compressor . My current Ruud model installed in 2003 and recently compressor was replaced under 10-year warranty .
Ruud says they make the spare parts available ( compressor and both coils ) at least 10 years .

If I want to continue running my A/C unit (as long as R-22 is not outlawed ) well beyond 10 years , where can i find the compressor and both coils ? can other brands be retrofitted ?

Thank you for your input.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-10, 06:52 AM
Ruud model number?

Parts should be available far into the future. If not OEM from other manufactures. Ruud doesn't make all the parts, they put them together to make the finished product.

That said, parts may go up in price just as R-22 is/will.

Old 10-03-10, 08:06 AM
I am not so sure about the availibility of all r22 parts in the future. Just a couple of months ago, I could not find a r-22 5 ton condensor in Houston area. A couple of Big AC firms here have it, but they ask for about 150% of the regular price. and you can not just buy the unit, they will have to do the installation. At end, I found one in Dallas, paid $120 shipping. Think about 5-10 years from now. r22 freon price went from 3 years ago $65/30lb to now $180/30lb. Just look at the R12 pricing the last 10 years, you should see the trend. So, if i were you, I prepare myself to upgrade at some point in the future(may be 4 or 5 years from now, or next time when you have to do a major repair). Plus, the new unit will have much higher efficiency level than the one you have, that will save you a great deal on the utility bill. This is my own opinion. welcome comments from others.

Old 10-03-10, 01:20 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
410a will soon be gone I would wait if you can to buy new

Old 10-03-10, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the replies so far .
Clocert:
I am not terribly concerned about the cost of R-22 ( $180/30Lbs) . We are paying in thousands for the repair jobs . Recently we paid $1,100.00 for a compressor replacement that was under warranty . So , cost of R-22 is just peanut here .

Jarredsdad :
My Unit : RUUD Achiever 14
Outside Unit : Model: UPLA-041JAZ ( serial#6407 MO703 06715)
Inside Air HandlerUnit: Model: UBHK-24J11NFF ( serial# T M 0903 08796)

I would like to establish some supply source(s) for replacement parts well ahead of problem . It seems that when we have an A/C problem it is already too late for searching the internet or yellow pages . If forum rules allow , I would like to hear the name(s) of some forum sponsor A/C suppliers names for my future need .
Thanks

Old 10-03-10, 06:24 PM
$180 is for the AC TECH to buy, 3 years from now, he probably charge you $300+ to put a couple of lbs in your system (including the labor). It is still cheaper than the compressor or coil of course.