Winterizing Condenser Units

Old 10-06-10, 04:47 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Winterizing Condenser Units

Hello,

I have read that it is not a good idea to use off the shelf wraps for external a/c condenser units since they trap moisture. Is there something I SHOULD place on top or around it in order to keep snow/leaves out or just let it be? Thanks!

Old 10-06-10, 05:21 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it's in an area where a lot of snow, ice, leaves, etc... will accumulate on the top it's not a bad idea to put a piece of plywood or the like with a brick to hold it down. Just be sure and pull/shut off the outdoor disconnect so you don't forget and turn it on in the spring with the cover on it. Also believe it or not it's also a good idea to put a coat of car wax on it just like you would your car.

Old 10-06-10, 09:14 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I have used those off the self wraps to cover my outside condenser but they only last a couple of years because they are made of a cheep plastic which is paper thin.

At a cost of $20.00 each I decided not to use them again. I bought a 12x12 of 5 mil plastic, folded the ends and put some grommets on them and used a plastic rope to tight it around the condenser. Cost me less than $8.00 and Im sure it will last much longer.

The idea of a piece of plywood also sounds good.

Old 10-07-10, 06:47 PM
Plastic wrapping is the worst thing to use on the A/C. You want to keep it open.

I made a top for mine.

We have LOTS of tree, so leads to lots of leaves.

Old 10-07-10, 08:33 PM
I always thought that it may not be a good idea to use a plastic cover but since the plastic its never a good fit it will allow some air flow and therefore no damage for condensation.

Would you explain why plastic wrapping is the worst thing to use on the A/C, just to learn?

Old 10-08-10, 05:15 AM
You may have some air flow, but not enough that the moisture may be trapped into the control area. Also, a full wrapped unit can provide a home for rodents. I've seen it with my grandfather, and other units.

Old 10-08-10, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the info, sounds good

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: