Central AC condensate drain clog

Old 10-18-10, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Central AC condensate drain clog

I noticed that my secondary drain for the central AC was dripping outside, so I figured the main drain was clogged and it is.

The central AC is horizontally mounted in the attic and has a PVC drain that runs to the plumbing underneath the guest bathroom sink and connects with a rubber hose. I've tried to suck out the clog with a wet vac and blow it out with compressed air, but no luck. It's totally clogged.

I thnk the layout has contributed to this. It starts at the AC past the coil (positive air pressure) and goes straight out for 3 ft, turns straight down for 3 ft to the top of the ceiling beams, goes horizontal and straight for 15 ft to an inline trap, another 15 ft to the guest bathroom, and then straight down into the wall to the sink plumbing. I assume that this 30 ft horizontal run would be easy to clog since it doesn't drain well.

My question is this. I think it would be easier to just rip out the long run of clogged pipe and replace it. If I do this, should I install a trap w/cleanout close to the air handler rather than halfway down the path? And rather than a long horizontal section of pipe, should I slope the pipe all the way from the trap down to where it connects to the pipe in the bathroom wall? Seems like this would work better.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Old 10-19-10, 07:38 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Your method is the best of course, but most people don't want put that much effort in it. So If I were you, I simply cut off the trap and clean it and also clean both side of the pvc pipes, then put it back, that's it. slope of the pipe is not important. bleach the pipe 2 or 3 times a year should take care of it. you do need a clean out.

Old 11-30-10, 08:53 PM
I finally ended up just cutting out the pipe at the elbow where it comes out of the unit and then goes straight down. I added a ball valve to block the flow from the pan and added a cleanout plug on top of the new elbow. When I closed the valve and applied a little compressed air, the clog was easily cleared. I poured in a jug of LP pipe gel and let that sit in the pipe for an hour to try and eat up some of the gunk, then flushed it all out with hot water. All good so far. Thanks for the help

Old 12-02-10, 09:23 AM
A fast but sometimes messy was to clear out a drain line is just use your garden hose and connect it at the unit then use the homes water presure to blow out the clogged pipes.
'
jerry

Old 10-22-11, 10:03 AM
B
My wife picked up a wet vac fitting that a friend of hers told her about which is called the diyvac on ebay .It fits your condensate drain line perfectly and attaches to your wet vac and is a breeze to use and saved us a service call which last time cost us $145 .This attachment cost us just over $20 .Thought I would share as it really unclogged the drain line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: