How to install refrigerant lines

Old 12-12-10, 07:09 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to install refrigerant lines

I am installing a split A/C system. In connecting the refrigerant lines should I use teflon tape, pipe dope or nothing on the threads of the connectors. Thanks

Old 12-12-10, 08:01 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I haven't seen a system with mechanical joints in years how old is this system? What brand name?

Old 12-12-10, 11:06 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I assume he has one of the Chinese mini-splits that have flared connections.

Joey, if this is true then be forewarned that if that system uses anything but R-134a for a refrigerant it is unlawful for an unlicensed person to work with the refrigerant lines. Even if this doesn't bother you not having a vacuum pump to remove the air in those lines will likely lead to early failure or even an immediate lack of operation of your unit.

Old 12-13-10, 04:06 AM
J
It's a sanyo split system. Yes it has flare fittings. I am looking to connect the inside unit with the line set. The outside unit will be attached and flushed by a pro

Old 12-15-10, 04:32 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Use NOTHING on the flared connections; no Teflon tape, no Teflon paste, no RectorSeal, no Leak-Lok, nothing at all. If you had some of the special compressor oil for a R-410 compressor you could use a drop on the flare itself and on the threads IF it was a new container of oil and not contaminated by the air or anything else.

Do NOT leave the lines open any longer than necessary to make the connections.

Old 12-15-10, 06:16 AM
J
Thanks

Finishing the lineset install this weekend and the HVAC installer is coming to vacuum, pressure test and finish install during the week. Thanks for all of the help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: