Mice in electrical box/Electrical safety

Old 12-17-10, 01:34 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mice in electrical box / Electrical safety when working on a/c

Hi

this is my 2nd house and 4th time I've had to deal with mice being around the air conditioner electrical box.

In my 1st place mice chewed through the low voltage wire and we found a complete skeleton of a previous mouse that had nested in the box. Another time one got into the electrical box and was moving around and caused the a/c to trip the circuit breaker randomly. (the hvac guy I called that time was afraid of mice and took like 10 minutes to get the mouse out. he didn't want to touch it so he was blowing compressed air until the little dude jumped out. he was so afraid he was blowing air a few seconds and jumping back scared. he had the nerve to charge me for the compressed air he used!!!)

So I recently moved to a new house this year and one thing I checked was the likelihood of a mouse nesting in the a/c electrical box before the summer came. My 1st place had much easier access for a mouse, but in the new place, it looked almost impossible for a mouse to get into the box....Well sometime late this summer the a/c stopped working and tripped a fuse in the furnace. My hvac guy opens the box and there is a family of mice hanging out. They chewed through a wire causing it to short. at that time I didn't have anything to block the entrance holes so I knew this may be a recurring problem.

now it is winter and I can see large yellowish-brown drips from the box which I assume is mice crap and piss since it also has a musty smell.

I just want to make sure I am safe when I open the box reduce the chance of getting shocked if I have to clean around the wires. If I shut off the a/c circuit breaker inside the house is that enough?

Also, does anyone have tips on keeping mice out? I have copper mesh which has worked well for me in other cases.

Have people had luck with poison bait stations nearby outside to kill any mice that may get into the box?

thanks

Last edited by kick_flip; 12-17-10 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-17-10, 02:45 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Upvotes on 105 Posts
Exterior bait stations would be good-our local Tractor Supply Sells the stations and bait. The copper mesh, is it "Stuff-it"? That's good material, getting expensive. Be advised that copper conducts electricity very well.

In a small space like that, moth balls/crystals may act as an effective repellent, but they do sublimate (dissolve) and need to be replaced. Just an idea to try.

Old 12-17-10, 02:57 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
yes, it is the "stuff-it" material. I bought a roll a year ago and still have enough leftover.

I would hope the conducting electricity part wouldn't be a big issue as the openings where I'll be stuffing it are not close to the wires.

it is just so annoying dealing with the mice. however, I'd rather have them outside than inside and I have the outside sealed out pretty well with no signs of mice in the house.

at my other place, the a/c installers never caulked the gap where the coolant line and low voltage wire entered the house and it was basically mouse highway. It took me a while to notice the mice since I had a drop ceiling in the basement, but once I killed them all inside with snap-traps and plugged the hole, the problem was solved.

but i've moved to a more rural place where there are bears, skunk, foxes, moles, so there are other bigger pests to deal with

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: