manufactured home need ac unit

Old 03-05-11, 08:09 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question manufactured home need ac unit

We have a 1280 sq ft mobile home (3 bedroom 2 bath, largest single wide) it has a furnace that works fine and 2 summers ago my husband bought an outside unit off of Craig's list the gentleman that came to install the "used" unit (said he got it when a company upgraded there system) installed something called an A-coil and it seems he installed some kind of pipe he called a drain in my laundry room. The unit seemed to cool for the first summer, but this past summer nothing! Would not come close to getting cool! So, we would like to purchase an ac unit for the mobile home but we don't even know where to start. My husband found another used unit "train X80 gas furnace, A/C condenser and A coil unit". This is a 3-ton unit. Is he barking up the wrong tree just to try to save a buck! I know we won't use the furnace but what about the a/c or should we just buy something new and if so any ideas of to buy?

Old 03-06-11, 05:05 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Buying used equipment is never good! Unit can have two many issues. Look at buying a unit from a good hvac company. You will be money ahead if you do.

Old 03-06-11, 06:02 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Buy New.
Adding an A/C | Mobile Home Repair HVAC

Call you local HVAC company to have it replaced. Make sure you tell them it is a manufactured home. Some companies will not work on mobile homes.

If you are in a mobile home park then talk to the park office staff and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 03-06-11, 07:40 AM
S
talked to park staff... no help they just collect the money

Have already talked to the park manager and she is no help! We have a Coleman furnace. there are some sights online which sell a/c's do you have any idea what is the right size to buy and is this something we can install ourselves.

Old 03-06-11, 07:48 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
NO, you can not install yourself. You would need thousands of dollars in tools and equipment to install it yourself properly, let alone a license to purchase and handle refrigerant. You can buy the equipment online. I cant tell you the size without being there and doing a load calculation. If you buy online, good luck finding someone to install it, but you already had someone put something in that never should have been installed. They might install something you purchase online. My personal feelings are call a local contractor.

Old 03-06-11, 08:44 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Not a HVAC person and not recommending it but they do have self contained AC units for mobile homes. They set on a pad outside and have ducts that you run under the mobile home both for supply and return. A pro can tell you if they could be tied into existing supply ducts or need their own registers. It could be a DIY project if your skill level allows because no installation of refrigerant lines. Everything is in the unit all hooked up and ready to go. They are large and a bit ugly. Again though buy new. Don't buy someone else's problems.

Old 03-06-11, 04:26 PM
S
thank you for your reply... I have been online all day (literally) and have found so much stuff my head is spinning. Things about SEERS and ton stuff. If you buy too small AND you can buy too big! I tried to tell that to my husband and he laughed said "how could something possibly be too big... it would just keep the mobile home cooler easier" I give up! I have called a few other people in the park but their a/c's were already there and they are no help! There was something online where you could get some quotes so I entered the information there and hopefully I can find a responsible contractor to install a proper new system... if I can talk my husband out of another "new" used unit.

Old 04-03-11, 05:38 PM
The unit seemed to cool for the first summer, but this past summer nothing! Would not come close to getting cool!
If it cooled good the first year; it appears that perhaps the installer didn't do a good job brazing the fittings, & refrigerant leaked out.

If you can find someone to do a proper leak test; if it didn't draw air into the system, there are ways to properly braze the leaking areas, - then evacuate the system real good & recharge it.

Never try to do this yourself because there are safe & proper sequential procedures that must be followed.

Could be another problem, therefore, troubleshooting must done before doing any work on it...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: