Central A/C recomendations

Old 03-14-11, 06:58 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Central A/C recomendations

I have a 1,600 sq. ft. house, flat roof, in Fla., 10 KW strip in the air handler, originally had a heat pump but the outside unit was stolen this is a investment/rental home so I am leaning to a straight A/C (3 or 3.5 ton) I know the heat will be more $$ but have less to go wrong over the years, and being in Fl.....my A/C guy recommends the Amana/Goodman due to the 10 yr. parts warranty and price....does this sound good?

Old 03-14-11, 08:04 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
If you are fully aware of the cost of heating, then go for it. Brand doesn't matter as much as installation. However, Goodman is lower end IMO. Other brands have 10 year warranties as well.

Old 03-15-11, 06:12 AM
C
What would be your suggestion for a rental property?

Old 03-15-11, 09:25 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
well, consider resale of the property... As far as brand, it matters not as much as proper installation for longevity. Personally i would go with HP. Just my thoughts.

Old 04-04-11, 11:15 AM
Most people are totally ignorant when it comes to heating & A/C; although a Goodman heat pump might entice some renters.

Three to 3.5-Tons seems like a lot for 1600sf home in FL.
I'd have your home's efficiency audited to see what could be done to downsize the equipment.

Then emphasize what you did to save the renter on utility bills.

Goodman is good equipment with an excellent warranty; no longer second rate in my book.

Old 04-09-11, 03:40 PM
D
Help carrier or goodman?

Carrier or Goodman? I have now had several recommendations for Goodman. 2000 sq ft. split level currently two units. I have had 2 contractors recommend Goodman, One certified installer recommend Goodman and One "company" installer recommend Carrier? I liked the guy who recommended the Carrier he seemed honest etc. he was not opposed or downtalked the Goodman and said he would install it just said he thought the Carrier was better??? Some posts are negative on Goodman so I am confused. I lean toward the "company" guy because he was pretty straight with me and seemed to be what I determined to be more "professional" installer. So everyone says installation is at least half the game...Goodman or Carrier is there really a difference? I want at least 10 years with out repairs! Current units are 35-40 years and still running strong with a few repairs in the last 3 years less than $200.00. HELP!

Old 04-09-11, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Doodlieanne
Carrier or Goodman? I have now had several recommendations for Goodman. 2000 sq ft. split level currently two units. I have had 2 contractors recommend Goodman, One certified installer recommend Goodman and One "company" installer recommend Carrier?

I liked the guy who recommended the Carrier he seemed honest etc. he was not opposed or downtalked the Goodman and said he would install it just said he thought the Carrier was better??? Some posts are negative on Goodman so I am confused. I lean toward the "company" guy because he was pretty straight with me and seemed to be what I determined to be more "professional" installer.

So everyone says installation is at least half the game...Goodman or Carrier is there really a difference? I want at least 10 years with out repairs! Current units are 35-40 years and still running strong with a few repairs in the last 3 years less than $200.00. HELP!
I'd always begin with a thorough Home Energy AUDIT that shows all the options for lowering the heat-gain & heat-loss, then after reducing air infiltration, etc., have a room by room manual J heatload calc performed. This is where the greatest savings in both heating & cooling will accrue! this will help in the down-sizing of equipment.

"The 'proper heatload' on the evaporator coil must be established"
Check and thoroughly seal all the ductwork! For efficient operation, always check the return air temperature at the blower & at the Return Air Grille(s) to know whether it is drawing hot air from the attic or garage areas.

How well or smooth they communicate with you is not an indication that the installations will be performed better than the other companies.

What I stated above, that ought to be done is far more important than SEER rating; as that will determine the SEER achieved & the energy savings.

Goodman has an excellent warranty & it is good equipment; you would never be able to tell the difference in performance; but the other factors stated above make a big difference.

Old 04-10-11, 04:54 PM
J
Is Carrier better than Goodman? That's like asking if Chevy trucks are better than Ford or Dodge. Everyone will have their own opinion. I don't think there is a "correct" answer.

Just for the record, I like Goodman. I installed many and have had minimal problems. Goodman uses the Copeland scroll compressor, just like most other brands (Rheem, Carrier, Lennox, Nordyne, etc.)

Find a technician who will do a good install and don't worry to much about brand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: