Window A/C Unit question

Old 03-23-11, 07:17 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window A/C Unit question

Can I install a Big Box store type window A/C in a through the wall type application or do I need a unit designed for through the wall use that has the "box" to slide the unit in and out of?

Thanks

Leslie

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-11, 08:22 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You usually can but modern ones usually have vents on the side. You may need to make the opening 4" or 5" wider on each side so you don't block the vents. You can then put panels on the room side between the AC and the opening to seal it in.

Similar to the way panels would be used in a window mount but don't use the thin plastic accordion filler. Instead use two pieces of 3/8' plywood separated by 1X2s with foam insulation between. Imagine a 1-1/2" inch deep box filled with insulation used as a panel.

Any of the larger ACs will slide out of the case for installation. That is not specific to the intended application.

Old 03-23-11, 09:17 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window A/C Unit question

Any thing like that can be done. The biggest problem i see is, in a few
years of use you might have to clean the coils out. You have to take the unit cabinet apart so you can clean the outdoor coil from the inside out. This is much harder to do when you have a window unit installed
in a wall. With a unit made for a wall installation, it is real easy to slide
out, clean and put back in. You will have guys tell you you can clean it from the out side. But all those bugs are sucked in and plug up the inside of the outdoor coil. Has to come apart to run coil cleaner through it. Later Paul

Old 03-23-11, 09:40 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
With a unit made for a wall installation, it is real easy to slideout, clean and put back in.
The same is true with window ACs. Any I've seen over 10,000 BTU slide out of the case. Actually I think most 10,000 I've dealt with were slide out.

I've seen a lot of window ACs. Summer here is March-November and I did maintenance on 3 apartment buildings, all with window ACs mounted through the walls.

Owner only used repaired ones or bought rebuilt and used so went through a lot of them.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-23-11 at 10:23 PM.