How difficult is it to replace an air handler?

Old 03-31-11, 09:20 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How difficult is it to replace an air handler?

I've done everything else around my house (plumbing, electrical, etc) but have never replace an air handler. Is this a do-it-yourself project, or is it better to just call the AC guy?

I've got a 10 year old Rheem RBHA-21J11SFCAI that suddenly stopped blowing cold air. Even if it can be fixed, my guess is it is better to just go ahead and replace it. The outdoor unit was replaced a couple years ago with a Goodman.

I'd like to get a more efficient unit. Any recommendations on brands/models and whether I should attempt this myself?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-11, 10:58 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I suggest you call an A/C professional to do the job. It is not easy. It involves a lot of different type of work, for example, soldering/brazing, freon work, etc. (you need to have license too), not only you have to know how to do that, you need the tool/equipments to do the job right. Now before get into all the details, and before you do anything, have you thought about the new air handler may require you to replace the outside unit too plus may be all the line set in between since it is now using the new 410a, not r-22 anymore. So, do some more research, talk to your local A/C firms first and then make a decision.