Shrader Valve/home AC

Old 04-07-11, 04:02 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shrader Valve/home AC

Hi, I turned my AC at home on yesterday...didn't come on. Took a look at it before I called a service man again. They were here last week to check it out. Anyway, I noticed that the cap on the low side of the shrader valve was off. As I was looking around for it, I noticed there was no pin inside the valve. I put a toothpick in there and it goes way in without any resistance. Can I assume I need a new valve, vacuumed out and new refrigerant? How can something like that even happen? Guess I gotta get them back here.
Thanks for your help.
Norm

Old 04-07-11, 04:42 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
yes, sounds like all that will need done along with a liquid line drier. this can really only happen if someone does it, The shrader valve wont come out on its own and the cap wont come of on its own either. they make locking caps! Kids have been know to huff refrigerant for a high. Teens Huffing Freon To Get High - Video

Novent Caps Product Demonstration

Old 04-07-11, 03:13 PM
E
kids? no no no, this was the fault of the company who came to look at it. whatever happened, they caused it and should repair it for free. you should demand it! and the kids huffing freon is extremely rare. sometimes the end of the freon gauge will stick to the schrader valve when the gauges are taken off the condenser valves, causing it to loosen and leak freon.

Old 04-07-11, 03:21 PM
if it was leaking that much then the tech should have caught it. caps don't come off on their own and shraders definitely don't come out on their own

Old 04-07-11, 06:21 PM
M
Before you jump the conclusions, If you have a Carrier, Payne or Bryant unit its more likely not to have Shrader Valve from the manufacture, they use an actual valve thet you have to turn clockwise to check refrigerant level and counterclockwise for normal operation, if its not open all the way that could be why you lost refrigerant, you need to call the company any way so they can get it up and running. Good luck

Old 04-07-11, 07:39 PM
good call mills...some amana products had king valves as well.

Old 04-08-11, 08:11 AM
E
right, didnt think about that one mills. good catch

Old 04-08-11, 08:20 AM
E
and it is true caps dont come off by themselves but many a times people forget to put them back on.

Old 04-11-11, 01:18 PM
R
Hi and thank you all for your advice. The air conditoning company was here today and the same tech came. Turned out not to be a shrader valve or loss of refrigerant.
He said he forgot to put the cap on and apologized for it. There was a valve there like you guys said. Anyway, it turned out to be a timing sequencer that went bad and wouldn't let the unit turn on. Working fine now
Again, Thank you all. Hope to talk to all of you again soon.
Norm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: