Larger Unit....Larger Wiring??

Old 04-13-11, 08:32 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Larger Unit....Larger Wiring??

I'm upgrading a unit from a 2 ton to a 4 ton. Do I need to run heavier wiring to the new unit? If so, does anyone know what size I would need? Larger breakers? etc...

Old 04-13-11, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It will depend on whats there now and what the specs of the new unit are. Many newer high efficiency units use less power than older systems as I understand.

Check the nameplate data on both and let us know what breakers are installed. The installing company should be making you aware of any issues.

Old 04-13-11, 08:43 AM
W
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure about the old unit...I can look and see....but the new 4 ton unit I bought is a Goodman 16 seer.

Maybe I should back up a little. I'm enclosing the attic area where the ac units are held (adding insulation, plywood floor and walls) and I'm running new ducts to the garage remodel. I'm doing all of this myself to save money and have pulled out the old units and am planning on setting the new units in place and hooking up the ducts. Then, I will bring someone in to hookup just the electrical and the freon. Before I enclose the new attic, I figured now would be the time to run the new wire if needed before I seal it up with walls and floor. I would of course run it to the breaker box and stop to allow a professional to hook it up. Am I saving money by doing all this myself and just hiring an AC person to come in to do the hookups? Their part should be relatively inexpensive....right?

Old 04-13-11, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
The additional info is very helpful.

Have you already lined people up to do the hookups? Some Pro's would be very leery of doing the work and likely there wouldn't be any warranty..possibly not even on the equipment. Some manufacturers won't warranty equipment not purchased and installed by an authorized dealer.

That said...you need the specs and breaker info I mentioned earlier for the Pros here to tell you if they are ok...

Old 04-13-11, 10:06 AM
W
I see your point about the warranty. What's the deal with all of the places that sell units direct to the customer? I thought this was a way to avoid the mark-up? So if I buy a unit and have a pro install it, it won't be warrantied?

Old 04-13-11, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
It's possible it won't. I'm basing that on opinions expressed here by the experts. You need to contact the manufacturer (not the seller!) and get it in writing. It may be that it only needs to be HOOKED UP by a professional installer.

Old 04-13-11, 01:44 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
You said you are purchasing goodman equipment? Check their website. IF purchasing over the internet regardless of who installs it there is NO WARRANTY.

Back to the wire and breaker sizes. For the air handling equipment you will probably not need to change the wire size unless you are adding strip heat to the unit. For the outdoor unit you need to check the existing wire size and breakers and also check the data plate on the new unit which lists maximum breaker size.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: