Hot in Florida--Air Handler freezing up

Old 04-15-11, 07:44 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot in Florida--Air Handler freezing up

Hi all,

About a week ago, we noticed an excessive amount of water dripping from the air handler in the garage. I opened up the access cover and the tray was full of water. Since i couldn't get anything into the drain from the top because of how it is designed, i used an air hose and pushed everything up and out. It was clogged a great deal and i seemed to have removed all of the debris.

Today, we noticed a slight drip, and the temperature in the house began to slowly creep up. I had my wife turn the system off and about four hours later, i came home, opened the access cover, and there was the ice that you see in the pictures. The drain seems to be working fine, though i didn't back flush it again with the air hose yet. I think the ice is the bigger problem, perhaps a leak somewhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We've got the ceiling fans going and eagerly anticipate the drop in overnight temperature, which seemingly is slow to happen.

Old 04-15-11, 07:50 PM
T
I'm sure the rustiness is not a good thing. The unit is about 10 years old.

Old 04-15-11, 08:05 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Only two things can cause this. Lack off airflow ( coil dirty filter stoped up blockage in duct ) or low on refrigerant. When was the coil cleaned last?

Old 04-15-11, 08:42 PM
T
We've only been in the house a little over a year, and there were no records of any previous maintenance, so i can't say.

Would i be correct in assuming that by coil, you mean the heat exchangers in the picture?

Old 04-15-11, 08:55 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
yes, the coil is the evaporator coil in the picture (heat exchanger as you call it)...... You would look on the blower side of the coil to see if it was plugged up.......also make sure the filter is clean, if both are in line then it is most likely low on refrigerant. Call a Pro.

Old 04-15-11, 09:16 PM
T
I noticed there was a slot for a filter to the left of the assembly, but there was no filter. Oddly enough, there was an empty Pepsi can in there though.

Old 04-16-11, 04:24 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
check the coil on the side where the filter should have gone. Is it dirty?!

Old 04-16-11, 06:45 AM
If the coil has not been cleaned in over a year I'd start there! If you have a filter return grill with a filter in it then no filter is needed at the AHU

Old 04-16-11, 07:12 AM
C
It is time to get a new coil, This one won't last too long.

Old 04-16-11, 07:26 AM
T
There is a slight amount of debris on each panel of the coil, as shown in the picture. Doesn't seem to be enough to really impede flow, but then again if i knew that for sure, i wouldn't be posting here.

By filter return grill, do you mean the intake filters inside the house?

Old 04-16-11, 07:30 AM
T
By the way, the picture is on the side where the filter slot is. The fan is on the other side, which doesn't seem to be dirty.

If i was to clean that area, is there another panel that opens to allow more access? Right now i only have gap of about two inches to work through.

Old 04-16-11, 12:08 PM
If u have to acess to the coil I'd bet it has never been cleaned. I'd call a tech out because it might have to be pulled to clean.

Old 04-17-11, 09:57 AM
R
if there was no filter in the unit itself, you might have on in your return grate (maybe in the ceiling somewhere) if you dont have any filters, your coil is definately plugged. looking at the shape that the coil is in i wouldnt doubt that there is a slight leak that just sprang. right now would be a good time to swap out your system for a hgih efficiency one. living in florida you have plenty of cooling hours to more than make your money back in savings. tax credit doesnt hurt at all either.

Old 04-17-11, 10:55 AM
Exclamation Examine the blower wheel blades

Shut off the breakers to the indoor blower & examine the blower wheel blades for debris & lint. If blades are filled with debris the blower wheel must be cleaned along with the evaporator coil.

That evaporator could be leaking refrigerant, as it looks too rusty.

Old 04-18-11, 09:28 PM
T
I cleaned the bottom part of the blower, and installed all new air filters, but ended up seeing it leak again. Tech is coming out Tuesday.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: