Heat pump not cooling...

Old 04-20-11, 07:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat pump not cooling...

Hi,

The issue I have is with a heat pump not cooling the upstairs. *The heat pump only serves the one floor. Last summer a friend of a friend put some refrigerant in the heat pump. It made a little difference (he said it helped but I couldn't tell) but is back to not cooling now. *On 12/13/10 A HVAC pro checked the refrigerant while troubleshooting another issue and said it's OK.*

The heat pump and air handler are both Rheem. The A/H is model FBHA-14J06NUBA and serial TM109900147. The heat pump is model FPBA-019JAS and serial 6443M259921940.*

The air temperature at the intake is 78.1deg and the air temperature at the vent is 74.6deg. The filters at the intake are less than a week old.*

Ideas?

Thanks!!!
Brad

Old 04-20-11, 07:56 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Not much to go on. If presures were correct them coil and fan is clean. I'd look at any loose supply ducts are it could have lost it's charge now

Old 04-21-11, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HT Pump Refrigerant system easy to Trouble Shoot

Originally Posted by bradcros
Hi,

The issue I have is with a heat pump not cooling the upstairs. *The heat pump only serves the one floor.

Last summer a friend of a friend put some refrigerant in the heat pump. It made a little difference (he said it helped but I couldn't tell) but is back to not cooling now. *On 12/13/10 A HVAC pro checked the refrigerant while troubleshooting another issue and said it's OK.*

The heat pump and air handler are both Rheem. The A/H is model FBHA-14J06NUBA and serial TM109900147. The heat pump is model FPBA-019JAS and serial 6443M259921940.*

The air temperature at the intake is 78.1deg and the air temperature at the vent is 74.6deg. The filters at the intake are less than a week old.*
Ideas? Thanks!!! Brad
If it works okay in the heating mode, then look for problems with the components that affect the cooling mode.

The HP is probably normally in the heating mode; if the cooling mode is energized the pilot solenoid valve has small lines to each end of the Reversing Valve; the other third line bleeds off pressure, (depending on the position of the PSV plunger's position), into the suction line to the compressor.

There are two (2) Check Valves (CV) that must be open or closed; COOLING indoor CV closed, outdoor CV open; a refrigerant metering device that could have a strainer/screen plugged; a bi-flow filter drier in the liquid line, could have a restriction in one direction.

Trouble shooting is not difficult. Restrictions cause temperature changes; many times frosting on the liquid piping lines.

If it is too low on refrigerant it won't reverse for cooling.

Last edited by hvactechfw; 04-21-11 at 09:44 AM. Reason: WE DO NOT DISCUSS REFRIGERANT PRESSURES IN THESE FORUMS....SEE POSTING RULES
Old 04-21-11, 08:18 AM
C
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
not enough info. too many things can go wrong, you may have to call a tech.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: